Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kansas crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kansas crappie

Anybody catching crappie at Clinton?
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

I caught 2 good Whipers today at El Dorado. As this is the first time that I have caught any that kept, I was wondering does anyone eat these things? I know that they can't compare to Crappie but if they are worth eating then I will clean them. I just don't feel up to it if they are no good to eat. Especially with all the basketball on tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I guess I need to get out and fish. Yeah, Wipers aren't bad, but a little trick. Make sure to try and get all of that red meat cleaned off the filet as much as possible. Towards the tail if I remember right has the most. Clean that bloodline meat out and they taste pretty decent to me. About like a white bass, as I always clean my white bass the same way. Sure doesn't compare to Crappie, or Walleye, but sure isn't bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Default wipers

Soaking the fillets in saltwater for a few hours in the fridge helps too. They are fine to eat.
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Yep forgot about that one squirrels. I always soak my fish in saltwater for a couple of hours if not overnight.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. I did some research online before I cleaned them and everything I read said that the trick was to get all that reddish meat off the fillet. So you guys were right now, thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would not soak any type of fish in SaltWater. Saltwater cures the fish. If you want to soak your fish in anything, soak it in milk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NITRONATE View Post
    I would not soak any type of fish in SaltWater. Saltwater cures the fish. If you want to soak your fish in anything, soak it in milk.
    Yeah, I normally don't soak my fish at all. I fillet them, wash them up really good, put them in a ziplock full of water and throw them in the freezer. Soaking fish in salt is a bad idea, it can really dry a fish out when you go to cook it. I will soak/ freeze my game birds in salt water though.