Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie scenario

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie scenario

ok think im gonna try something here that might help people learn and give varying opinions on how to fish for crappie under different circumstances..everyday ill try to come up with another scenario

small pond(10 acres or so)
    max depth 10 foot
    basicaly bowl shaped, 2-3 foot of shallows all around pond then a drop off to 6 ft or more
    water temp low 40's prespawn
    previous day temp 55 degrees light wind fish found at 3 foot deep in bout 6-8 foot of water and agressive fish didt bite till bout noon
    todays fishing mid 40's winds 10- 15 mph out of e.n.e. cloudy light drizzle

where would you fish and how would you go about fishing for them?

Post Thanks / Like

TNT LOL. ENE side of the lake start in and work out.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

quick question....do we have a boat or are we fishin from the shoreline?
    Support Our Troops!

Post Thanks / Like

shorline in this situation. can reach bout 1/3 of way from all shorlines

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like my favorite fishing hole - all except the size. Bowl shape, max depth around 10', but mine is roughly 250 acres. There are shallow flats all the way around that go from shore, out 20-30 yards that go from 3" to about 3'. Then the bottom slopes a bit steeper and levels off between 8 and 10' deep. I fish without electronics, so where I go comes from knowing the pond.

Around 40 degrees, they're not spawning yet, so I'm in trolling mode. I work the "dropoff" across the North end, pulling 1/8oz jigs (tubes and twisters), or this year, I'm going to give mini cranks a try. Once I find where they're holding, I'll drop anchor and start casting jigs.

I like your "scenario" idea. It should really get folks busy sharing tips and tactics, not to mention eliciting questions. Can't wait for the next one.

Post Thanks / Like

OK... I was typing while you answered the question about using the boat or from shore...

In that case, I'd be using jugs under a slip bobber, and would start on the North end working from East to West. I'd start with my bobber up 3' from the jig, if nothing, I'd move it up to 2 feet because with the drizzle, they might be a little closer to the surface - since the sun won't be in their eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably start with a micro jig tipped with a bee moth or maggot fished under a slip bobber on the W.S.W. end of the lake...hoping on some warmer surface water might be pushed down that way... probably start fishing a couple feet off bottom since I feel the front would push them out alittle and down.....
    Duane