PDA

View Full Version : Turtles

Ranger375
04-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Seems to me somewhere I recall some body saying that if you see turtles in area you are trying to fish you won't find fish. Has anybody else heard this. Seemed like yesterday everywhere I tried the turtles were out sunning themselves and the fish were not biting.

DENNIS BOWERS
04-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Ranger-never Heard It But There May Be Something To It!!alot Of Boat Traffic Yesterday So I Got Deep In The Bushes. Turtles Were Everywhere Sunnin Themselves--only Caught 5 In About 4 Hours.it Sure Beat The Options Of Getting Ran Over Or Having My Grandaughter Get Thrown Out Of The Boat By Peoples Wakes! Good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis

whiplash
04-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Seems to me somewhere I recall some body saying that if you see turtles in area you are trying to fish you won't find fish. Has anybody else heard this. Seemed like yesterday everywhere I tried the turtles were out sunning themselves and the fish were not biting.

new one on me

Moose1am
04-10-2005, 07:54 AM
Ranger I have not heard that. Now stop and think about what type of life you find in a pond. Take a small body of water about a acer is size? You may find algae, planton, crayfish, turtles, snakes and fish all living in this small body of water. There will be all kinds of terresterial (land) insects and Aquatic (water) insects in this pond as well. The fish will have to eat sometime or they would die. Now we have many a small pond like this thoughout the America's and they most always have some fish and turtles in them.

Here is what I have found to be true about turtles. They like to hide in brush piles. If you are out on the lake or pond and have a depth sounder and see a turle come up to the surface and then go back down check the area out for a brush pile. I read or heard about this somewhere and was fishing the Teezer Crappie Fishing Tournament last Nov when I was having trouble finding a brush pile in shallow 8ft deep water with my GPS and it's Kentucky Lake FHS digital Map. The GPS boat icon was right over the brush pile icon but the brush pile icon was much bigger on the screen and I could not find the brush pile with my sonar. I was with Russ Bailey's cameraman from Midwest Crappie, Jeff, and we were trying to find the only marked brush pile in Sulfur creek. The winds were so fierce that I could not fish the brush pile out by the mouth of Sulfur Creek so we were looking for the brush pile in shallow water at the back of the bay where it was protected from the wind.

after about 10 to 15 minutes of motoring around looking at the GPS map screen and the depth finder I was about to give up when I looked around and saw a turtle surface and dive back down about 100 to 200ft to my south. I said that there was the brush pile and related the story about turtles using brush piles to hide amoung the brush. So we went to where the turtle had come up for air and found the brush pile in that spot. The digital FHS Kentucky Lake map was off on it's brush pile loction but the trutle helped me find that brush pile straight away.

Turtles will steal your minnows though so watch out for that.

I think I got this information about turtles and brush piles by watching a nature show on TV. Wild America by Marty Stoufer.

crappster
04-10-2005, 09:01 AM
For the past three years I have had a small turtle in a 75 gallon tank with an assortment of crappie, bass, bream, and catfish in with him. None of them showed any fear of the turtle or even acknowledged him. And he was bigger than all of them too. So I think its one of those natural things etched into the fish's brain.

Crapbie
04-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Here in Florida not a day goes by I do not see turtles out. I go to 2 city lakes and both have turtles out all times of the day. you can see them sunning themselves on the sides and you can see there heads sticking out the water as they sunbathe on the top of the water if the sides are to congested (they are very jumpy the larger they get). Most are large red ear sliders I think as I have seen some close up but there are other kinds too but they all act the same and there would have to be one hell of a lot of turtles to affect the fish populations in either as I walk around them daily feeding the minnow schools and ducks and such and would notice the turtles being a menace. I notice them making love alot more then making dinner : ) smart turtles

scrap
04-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Ranger I have not heard that. Now stop and think about what type of life you find in a pond. Take a small body of water about a acer is size? You may find algae, planton, crayfish, turtles, snakes and fish all living in this small body of water. There will be all kinds of terresterial (land) insects and Aquatic (water) insects in this pond as well. The fish will have to eat sometime or they would die. Now we have many a small pond like this thoughout the America's and they most always have some fish and turtles in them.

Here is what I have found to be true about turtles. They like to hide in brush piles. If you are out on the lake or pond and have a depth sounder and see a turle come up to the surface and then go back down check the area out for a brush pile. I read or heard about this somewhere and was fishing the Teezer Crappie Fishing Tournament last Nov when I was having trouble finding a brush pile in shallow 8ft deep water with my GPS and it's Kentucky Lake FHS digital Map. The GPS boat icon was right over the brush pile icon but the brush pile icon was much bigger on the screen and I could not find the brush pile with my sonar. I was with Russ Bailey's cameraman from Midwest Crappie, Jeff, and we were trying to find the only marked brush pile in Sulfur creek. The winds were so fierce that I could not fish the brush pile out by the mouth of Sulfur Creek so we were looking for the brush pile in shallow water at the back of the bay where it was protected from the wind.

after about 10 to 15 minutes of motoring around looking at the GPS map screen and the depth finder I was about to give up when I looked around and saw a turtle surface and dive back down about 100 to 200ft to my south. I said that there was the brush pile and related the story about turtles using brush piles to hide amoung the brush. So we went to where the turtle had come up for air and found the brush pile in that spot. The digital FHS Kentucky Lake map was off on it's brush pile loction but the trutle helped me find that brush pile straight away.

Turtles will steal your minnows though so watch out for that.

I think I got this information about turtles and brush piles by watching a nature show on TV. Wild America by Marty Stoufer.

The wealth of knowledge on this site is amazing. I learn something new everytime I log on. Thanks everyone.

Crapbie
04-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Tutles love bacon lol I hope no one catches any though or they will get the turtle curse blah.....

TAE73
04-10-2005, 05:12 PM
I would say no if they are just sunning themselfs, but if they splash back into the water to go in hiding. I would think that would scare the crappie especially during the spawn.

Meat on the Table
04-10-2005, 05:27 PM
I read a book one time on crappie fishing, and the author (some fish bioligist) called turtles chrysemys locators. He went on to say if turtles were present ina brush pile so would crappie be there. I can't say with any certainty either way from personal experience.

crappster
04-10-2005, 05:55 PM
I would say no if they are just sunning themselfs, but if they splash back into the water to go in hiding. I would think that would scare the crappie especially during the spawn.

Why do you think the crappie would be scared by this?

CrappieLips
04-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Turtles like minnows Crappie like minnows therefore if you see turtles in a brush top chance's are there'll be crappie there too. :D :D

crappster
04-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Ya'll think turtles can catch minnows. Not the minnows on your hook. And not snapping turtles. The slider I had in my tank never could catch the minnows I put in there. He'd try. But he always missed.

Crapbie
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Turtles nodout have a large vege diet but I'm sure they get the occasional minnow or scraps. You have to remember that there is all different size fish in a lake or what ever so they will always have something the right size for them. I watch turtlles alot and really don't think fish mind them aslong as they are used to them. Turtles are not the fastest or most elegant watercreature creating a cloud of bubbles nearly everywhere it goes sneaking up on its prey is surely not a easy thing which is why they are so jumpy. I have seen turtles jump in the water from me wispering to my wife from 200 ft away. They have greeat hearing.

Hoot
04-10-2005, 09:17 PM
My father and uncles, long gone now, always used to say if you see a bunch of turtles, the fishing won't be any good.

They grew up fishing the small rivers and ditches in the bootheel of missouri where there were more cottonmouths than fish probably.

Don't know if that's true but Friday at Wappapello Lake we fished some down trees about 30 ft from the shoreline. We were tied up to the branches and their were turles all over it. Once they got used to us being there they began to sun themselves right next to us. Bunch of baby turtles too. Funny watching them struggle to get on the branchs.

But it didnt seem to bother the crappie. The fish were bite'n. Maybe it's different for large body's of water.

TAE73
04-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Why do you think the crappie would be scared by this?

Well when you find the fish on a brush pile or on a spawn spot. After dragging a few fish out of there causing a comossion they stop biting. Leave and come back in 15 and usually you can catch several more. I am not saying all turtles scare all fish. But if a turtle drops off a log and makes a good splash and crappie is in that same spot I would say there is a good chance of it being spooked. Its like finding gar around a spot, usually you dont get a bite with them things roaming around. I have caught turtles eating on the fish that where on a stringer in the water before. To bad some are stupid enough to stick around after being discovered. Mmmm, snapping turtle is some good eating.

Kokanee King
04-10-2005, 10:15 PM
I have accually caught some turtles fishing for cats with peices of dead bait. some of those turtles smell.

Moose1am
04-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Well if you exclude the snapping turtle then I am not sure if TURTLES (all species of turtles) can catch minnows. Some species of turtles may eat minnowsw and snapping turtles are know to wait for them and they extend a sort of worm out from their tongue to attract the minnows. The minnows think they are going to eat a worm and bam the snapping turtle eat the minnow instead. Big Surprise to the minnow I bet. LOL

I wonder how many different types (species) of turtles there are? It's hard to generalize about all turtles therefore.

Ya'll think turtles can catch minnows. Not the minnows on your hook. And not snapping turtles. The slider I had in my tank never could catch the minnows I put in there. He'd try. But he always missed.

fiddlefarter
04-10-2005, 10:34 PM
I pulled up a jug one night and had about a 40 pound (??) snapper 'bout take my hand off! Caught it on shrimp. All I know is both my fists would have fit in his mouth. And he was pi$$ed

Roberta
04-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Moose, in answer to your question, there are 3 species of softshell turtle, 4 musk and 26 species of pond and box turtles in the US. My most recent naturalist class covered amphibians and reptiles.

In our area of the Midwest, we see painted, spiny softshell and snapping turtles the most when fishing. Snappers are rarely seen at the surface since they prefer to stay in one spot usign the "lure" you describe, plus they walk on the bottom rather than swim. They are especially efficent at cleaning up carrion. Painted turtles are what you usually see sunning themselves on logs. They are carnivorous as juveniles but become herbivorous adults The youngsters eat small fish and macroinvertebrates.

Softshells are very fast and very carnivorous. They'll eat anything they can catch.

We've had a few softshells and painted turtles get wise to the sound of a plopping bobber and dive for our bait. They can be pretty good at stripping a hook of a minnow or worm. The times we've found turtles near shore, it's been when fishing was slow anyway - usually a hot sunny day. - Roberta

PIGINTHEPIGPEN
04-11-2005, 07:23 AM

I caught about 40 crappie yesterday and took 9 home. I also seen a lot of turtles and I did not find it to affect the bite much.

Cane Pole
04-11-2005, 05:36 PM
They funny rascals. Steal a minnow in a minute. I have caught bunches around the boat dock, but let them go (after I finished fishing). They do pretty good job of cleaning up dead critters around the area. Yep. Saw a possum consumed by a bunch of log turtles. Turtles don't bother the fish, but never leave fish on a stringer if turtles are nearby. They will strip the stringer...haha..Also, never get bit by a turtle. If they ever bite, they want let go until it thunders....Well that is what my Grandfather always told me...I believe it...

crappster
04-11-2005, 05:54 PM
I hear you on not letting a turtle bite you. The little booger in my tank got me on the finger as I was cleaning it out a couple years ago. He was no bigger than the palm of my hand, but they won't let go until they are ready. He broke the skin, but didn't quite have the size yet to do any serious damage. He didn't know the difference between my finger and the nightcrawlers I fed him.

Ranger375
04-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Hoot
it was probably somebody like your grandfather that told me about turtles effecting fishing. Might also have been me coming up with an excuse when fishing was bad...LOL.
I had never thought about turtles being locator for brush piles. Will check it out next time I get out. Thanks Moose

unknown 5
04-12-2005, 05:27 AM
I was crappie fishing with Quickfire67 Saturday morning and had a catfish line out. I reeled in a snapping turtle on the catfish line that was at least 15" across had a head as big as my fist, and had about 2" claws. I had him up to the boat and could have netted him but I sure didn't need him in the boat with us. I have another buddy that would have beheaded him and ate him. He was a big turtle! We were catching crappie with no problems.

GABoy
04-12-2005, 06:56 AM
SHOOT, I was fishing in a pond less than 2 weeks ago and I caught a snapping turtle on my rod...he bit the jig I was casting.....I thought I had something good on for a minute......