Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville Boys........

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville Boys........

What ya think of this????????

Us fisherman, boaters what ever have to pay a yearly fee of 90$ right???????

Those guys n gals riden those HAY BURNERS (horses) dont pay a CENT to ride on the SAME PARK. Let alone all the bicycler's and walkers useing that PAVED path.

What gives??????
    "It's on like Bing Bong"!!!!!! Si Robertson

Post Thanks / Like

Got a point... Maybe we should demand something... Like a marina bait shop that opens before 9am... Better yet, lease the Little Platte marina directly to the operator. (The way it was a few years ago)... Instead of leasing it to Clay County who sub leases it to the present operator. Or keeping the lake at full pool during the summer (which might mean starting out a bit high). Or all the Asian carp you can stand to eat... Wait, we already got that.

The fees are Clay County's doing... The Corps gets its revenue every April 15.
    Are the bike paths and equestrian trails in the County Park area or Corps land?

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta agree,not sure but I think its 5$ a day just to park in some of the lots that have ramps iffin ya want to bank fish!

FYI,just found out that when they take out the small iron bridge that washed out in Plattsburg,they will add another ramp suitable for small boats/canoes/jonboats etc....

Post Thanks / Like

Like the idea of another (free, I assume) ramp on the river. Now, if I could just find the channel through the shallow area just north of the existing Plattsburg ramp... I keep trying to go places I used to go in my canoe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStorie View Post
    Are the bike paths and equestrian trails in the County Park area or Corps land?
    There on BOTH.

Still at 5$ to park the damn hay burner riders dont pay a CENT.
    "It's on like Bing Bong"!!!!!! Si Robertson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Who pays

Well unfortunately after doing a little research the horse riders and bike riders are riding on everybodys dime. The trail system is not directly connected to the day use fees associated with lake use passes.

Federal Taxes, local sales taxes and property taxes are footing the bill for those miles of asphalt for the joggers and bike riders and the parking lots for the horse riders.

http://www.claycogov.com/county/depa...egalreport.pdf

Anybody have insight as to what the annual budget is for maintenance and upkeep of those trails? Be curious to see that number.

Seems to me Platte and Clay County could recoup some of those funds with a day use/season pass.

Just a side bar....I am concerned about the horse trails around the lake. Next time your get up there take a walk out into the woods and look at the amount of errosion caused. Its especially bad where the trails cross small streams.
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

With gas prices and the $90 fee is getting bad. It is just not worth it after the early season bite. Then in the summer you have to watch for all the jet skiers. I don't think I will get it this year and spend that money on a trip to LOZ.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Well unfortunately after doing a little research the horse riders and bike riders are riding on everybodys dime. The trail system is not directly connected to the day use fees associated with lake use passes.

Federal Taxes, local sales taxes and property taxes are footing the bill for those miles of asphalt for the joggers and bike riders and the parking lots for the horse riders.

http://www.claycogov.com/county/depa...egalreport.pdf

Anybody have insight as to what the annual budget is for maintenance and upkeep of those trails? Be curious to see that number.

Seems to me Platte and Clay County could recoup some of those funds with a day use/season pass.

Just a side bar....I am concerned about the horse trails around the lake. Next time your get up there take a walk out into the woods and look at the amount of errosion caused. Its especially bad where the trails cross small streams.

All your worried about is twisting your ankle while walking to one of your hot spots in the spring dude!:p Lee