Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Twain Crappie

mfraser Guest

Default Mark Twain Crappie

Hey guys, newbie here. Got a question, I'm from Central Illinois about 1 1/2 hours away from Mark Twain Lake. I've always heard this lake was the bomb for crappie. Any thought? Any tips or suggestions for this time of year? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you a bit on Twain but welcome to the Mo board.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

haven`t fished twain yet this spring, but usually the creeks like shell and sandy warm up first.

Post Thanks / Like

i forgot to welcome you to the board, WELCOME

Post Thanks / Like

mfraser, welcome to the board, sorry I can't help on M Twain.
    Mark

Pitching jigs, catching slabs, life is good

Post Thanks / Like

I like to fish lick creek early. It seems to warm up quick because it is a little shallower thansome other areas. You may want to start toward the mouth and work your way back. Try to find the edge of the channel and fish right on that edge, even if there is no brush/trees showing. They will follow this edge, especially if it is a several feet drop. I think it may honestly be too early to start thinking about them moving shallow. If you fish this weekend, you will probably have your best luck around deep water close to creek channels or at areas around the mouths of large creeks. Good luck whatever you do.

Post Thanks / Like

The lake is 7ft. above normal pool. So it probably muddy and floating debris. I would wait until better conditions. But that is just me. If you have never been there be prepared for an obstacle course of tree tops sticking out of the water. Depending on the water on what is under and what is sticking out. If you are in the arms of the lake don't just go tearing wide open around there. You will smack something like a tree that is just under the water. Even putting around looking for fishing spots you can get stuck on a limb that is just under the water. Then it is time to do the boat wiggle to get off. www. cannondam.com & www. southforkresort.net are good palces to check out info.

Post Thanks / Like

If its not sunny dont go,start in Sandy Creek,fish south faceing banks.
    Last edited by DEADEYE; 03-27-2008 at 07:42 AM.
    Jig & Ellie are my green headed corn grinder finders.

R.I.P Jig dog

mfraser Guest

Wow, thanks for the advice fellas. I have a good friend on these boards that said I could count on you!!!! I think I'll try Lake Springfield this weekend, and give Twain some time!! Thanks again!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I always catch a ton of crappie year round at Twain, but never any really slabs. Great place to take the kids though... lots of action.

Havn't been there yet this year - going to LOZ this weekend, but should be up at Twain the following weekend if it stops raining for a few days?!
    Teach your kids to hunt and fish and you won't have to hunt for your kids !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast