Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My Minn Junka on 3rd speed switch can I put in a variable switch myself?.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Minn Junka on 3rd speed switch can I put in a variable switch myself?.

I'm on my 3rd speed selector switch and this one went out. I heard guys talking about using a variable speed control instead of the 1-5 control numbers on the trolling motor. I have a variable speed switch and knob that's for 110. Can I use it in a 12V application? It's not a dimmer switch but one made to run a motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait View Post
    I have a variable speed switch and knob that's for 110. Can I use it in a 12V application? It's not a dimmer switch but one made to run a motor.
    No. DC motor control is completely different.

Post Thanks / Like

what do I need then and where can I get one?

Post Thanks / Like

Buy it and try it Sac. A 110 should work on a 12 volt system. A 12 volt rheostat would fry on a 110 connection. But, 110 setup on a 12 should be fine. Worth a trip to Lowes to find out. I have regular 110 outlets rigged in my boat to the battery so I can plug in an aluminum shrouded clamp light with a rough service (12 volt) bulb in it. Works great and I don't have to cut the wire and still be able to use the lamp around the house. The only purpose of a variable speed switch is to apply lower doses of voltage. A regular wall dimmer should work.
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 03-26-2008 at 09:52 PM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

An AC dimmer works by turning an SCR on and off based on zero crossings of the AC signal. It won't work on DC. DC variable speed controls pulse the power on and off to reduce motor power. A rheostat wastes all the power not being used by the load, and isn't a good choice for this application because a good portion of the battery voltage will be lost.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.zaneinc.com/user/DS-AFN-L-RP.PDF Might adapt something like this switch used in boats for fans...
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Sac, CatFan is right on the money with hypostasis! You'll need to install whatever "type", of switch that was in there, as in a "DC control" switch.

Post Thanks / Like

easy fix .. get rid of the minn kota and get a motorguide

Post Thanks / Like

NAPA or a tractor supply may have a fan control knob switch as well.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes: