Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Chargers

Post Thanks / Like

Question Battery Chargers

I am out of battery chargers as my last 2 have given up the ghost, and I have AGM batteries now. Can any one recommend a good battery charger that will work on AGM and regular batteries? I have a flatbottom that is stored outside, so I really don't think an onboard charger is an option. Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default For what it's worth

I've been pretty happy after 2 years with a Minn Kota Portable MK110 I think is the model. 1 bank 10 amps, auto. If I remember correctly, they will handle the AGM batts as well with a selectable switch, but I'd check that on the MK site. Also might check out Dual Pro and Guest, they have a portable charger as well.

Not sure what you've got now, but for some reason, I never trusted the Ship n shore models from Schumaker. Had one blow a batt one time on me. And I mean blow! Probably my fault more than the charger though.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Found one at Autozone:
    http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm

Supposed to be good for starting, deep cycle and AGM batteries
    I checked the price at the Schumacher site and autozone sell cheaper than direct from mfgr.
    Last edited by joejv4; 03-26-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I kept my last boat outside and it had a MK on-board charger, and it held up fine. Don't know if they work on AGM batteries or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Vector that works well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Minn Kota 210. Its a sealed unit so it should be OK outside. If in doubt cover it with a shroud. I just know for me I love to just hook up to my boat on a split decision and go fishing! When I get home I just plug it in, give one shot of grease to the bearing buddies and its ready for the next trip.

The water is warming, it's almost here!
    Wooly

Post Thanks / Like

black and decker from walmart . they work pretty good. if you can find a manual charger they seem to charge better to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't use a manual charger. You have to know the battery's exact state of charge, then figure how long you need to charge to fully charge the battery. Otherwise you just boil the battery and shorten its life. Get the Schumacher mentioned above if you want portable, or a sealed onboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Whichever you choose ....spend the extra cash and get a top notch one...if you do ..it should last years and years....IMO
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Even stored outside, an onboard is a good option - just need to make sure the plug is out while it's parked and remember to put it back before heading to the launch. I like Guest onboard chargers myself. I actually set up a Guest Onboard charger on in my garage and use it for charging my TM battery and for keeping a maintenance charge on my emergency generator starter battery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast