Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wed nite...slow again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wed nite...slow again

Tried a new spot last nite. It was new only as far as location. Still set up in the mouth of a cove off the main channel in 34' of water. Caught a 5lb catfish first thing. Took 2 1/2 hours to land the next fish, a 8" crappie. Caught another taterchip and a lifter within 10 mins. Then the frenzy was over and I went home. Having all that down time gave me a chance to contemplate a few things including Rango's earlier post regarding minnow holding tanks. I bought 6 dz minnows on Sun pm and put them in the 48 qt ice chest I keep on the boat. I swapped a coupla gals of water from the chest for fresh cold water each day since then. Scooped 3-4 deaduns out each day but still had 3 dz or so alive on Wed. So I started thinkin about how Rango could keep leftover minnows alive the same way at his house. If ya can keep,say 2 dz minnows alive between trips and ya average 2 trips a week you could save up to $200 in a year. That kinda money could buy alot of new gadgets. But then my thoughts expanded, a result of delerium caused by boredom no doubt. If a guy had 3 or 4 ice chests to keep minnows in he could spend his off time sorting them by size, putting all the big ones in one chest etc. Then he could take several minnow buckets filled with the different sized minnows when he went fishin and experiment with em 'til he found what the fish really wanted. Pretty soon we could be readin reports like the jig fisherman post. You know like "We didn't get a bite 'til we switched to 1/32 needle nosed jigs with black and yellow 'gatortails". We could post stuff like"they would only hit medium minnows 20' down 3 rods to the left of the light".

I think I should get some sleep.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default LOL Sleep Deprivation!

Quote Originally Posted by kunes
    Tried a new spot last nite. It was new only as far as location. Still set up in the mouth of a cove off the main channel in 34' of water. Caught a 5lb catfish first thing. Took 2 1/2 hours to land the next fish, a 8" crappie. Caught another taterchip and a lifter within 10 mins. Then the frenzy was over and I went home. Having all that down time gave me a chance to contemplate a few things including Rango's earlier post regarding minnow holding tanks. I bought 6 dz minnows on Sun pm and put them in the 48 qt ice chest I keep on the boat. I swapped a coupla gals of water from the chest for fresh cold water each day since then. Scooped 3-4 deaduns out each day but still had 3 dz or so alive on Wed. So I started thinkin about how Rango could keep leftover minnows alive the same way at his house. If ya can keep,say 2 dz minnows alive between trips and ya average 2 trips a week you could save up to $200 in a year. That kinda money could buy alot of new gadgets. But then my thoughts expanded, a result of delerium caused by boredom no doubt. If a guy had 3 or 4 ice chests to keep minnows in he could spend his off time sorting them by size, putting all the big ones in one chest etc. Then he could take several minnow buckets filled with the different sized minnows when he went fishin and experiment with em 'til he found what the fish really wanted. Pretty soon we could be readin reports like the jig fisherman post. You know like "We didn't get a bite 'til we switched to 1/32 needle nosed jigs with black and yellow 'gatortails". We could post stuff like"they would only hit medium minnows 20' down 3 rods to the left of the light".

I think I should get some sleep.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

It takes a lot of know how and experience to be able to fairly consistently locate slabs during the daylight hours, its also a lot of work, loading and unloading boats in weekend ramp traffic, moving from place to place, working jigs, shooting docks,, draggin lines, spider riggin, changing jigs, jig heads, fighting boat traffic and cussin jet skiers. and all this with the hot sun a cooking they noggins.. makes me dizzy just thinking about it. on the other hand, nightfishermen find a deep hole, anchor, set three or four rods with minnow, lean back, relax, pop a top,,and wait for a bite.... Life is a lot more simpler at night, Better suited for us old codgers that dont care that much about hard work.. kunes, fish off the right side of the boat, two rods to the left of the light, one to the right, medium sized minnows fished ten ft, nine and three quarter inches deep. that should do it for you....
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    It takes a lot of know how and experience to be able to fairly consistently locate slabs during the daylight hours, its also a lot of work, loading and unloading boats in weekend ramp traffic, moving from place to place, working jigs, shooting docks,, draggin lines, spider riggin, changing jigs, jig heads, fighting boat traffic and cussin jet skiers. and all this with the hot sun a cooking they noggins.. makes me dizzy just thinking about it. on the other hand, nightfishermen find a deep hole, anchor, set three or four rods with minnow, lean back, relax, pop a top,,and wait for a bite.... Life is a lot more simpler at night, Better suited for us old codgers that dont care that much about hard work.. kunes, fish off the right side of the boat, two rods to the left of the light, one to the right, medium sized minnows fished ten ft, nine and three quarter inches deep. that should do it for you....
    Rango,
    The way you were discribing nightfisherman I thought for sure you would have mentioned George Jones playing on the radio. You know," He stopped loving her today" or something. Sounds like you know how to have fun.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Knew It!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    I been fishin ten ft, eight and seven eights inches deep...thanks for the tip.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com