Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: motor problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default motor problem

A friend of mine has a Mercury 9.9 hp, best I can find out an early 1970's motor. He says it will quit pumping water, then the motor quits. But almost immediately he can start the motor and run it like nothing happened but eventually, the problem will start again. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

impeller would be my guess or the little holes getting cloged from debris that make the water flow through the lower unit
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slab_slayin_fool View Post
    impeller would be my guess or the little holes getting cloged from debris that make the water flow through the lower unit
    Yep....I would change the impeller pronto......and clean the intake holes.
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

If its running and quits pumping water and then stops running thats the engine seizing up. On a two stroke engine allot of the time it will start up after seizing but the cylinder walls will be scared and doing this you will eventually lose all your compression until it just wont start again. I would change the water pump impeller and clean the intake vents to make sure you are getting the water flow needed before running that motor again. It sound like the key is slipping in the impeller after the engine warms up allowing the impeller to slip on the shaft not pumping water. Hope this helps.

Good Luck and Good Fishing
    Last edited by grubby; 03-25-2008 at 03:52 PM.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'll pass the info on.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the motor might have been run out of the water and gotten to hot. Don't sound good to me. If new pump don't fix then you have big problems. Find new motor cheaper than rebuild.
    Klipsch Speakers
    Crestron
    Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyfootnc View Post
    A friend of mine has a Mercury 9.9 hp, best I can find out an early 1970's motor. He says it will quit pumping water, then the motor quits. But almost immediately he can start the motor and run it like nothing happened but eventually, the problem will start again. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!!
    I have two of them. Mine done that one time, every time you start it , it would pump water for a minute or two then stop pumping. shut it down and start again and it would do the same thing. New water pump and stil done it.
    One small piece of an old water pump was up in the motor and when the water started running through the block, the piece would jump up and block the hole and stop the water. Took me forever to find it. Drove me crazy!