Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cheney??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cheney??

Good afternoon guys,

I just moved down to Wichita from KC and I am anxious to put some slabs in the freezer. I live on the far west side of Wichita so Cheney is going to be the closest water to me. I went out there last Friday and drove all the way around the lake and made a few casts at a couple of different spots but I really need some help on some areas to really concentrate on. I am going to be fishing from the bank this spring so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Post Thanks / Like

WELCOME to CDC!!! You will love it here!! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Aaron,

I live on the the far west side of Wichita. Crappie at Cheney are tough, but when you can find them they are large. I would pick up the walleye pole. They are biting at Cheney.

Cody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flats&Craps View Post
    Aaron,

I live on the the far west side of Wichita. Crappie at Cheney are tough, but when you can find them they are large. I would pick up the walleye pole. They are biting at Cheney.

Cody
    I couldn't agree more. I've personally never caught anything crappie out there, but I've seen a few pics of some nice ones. Walleye are biting out there. I was able to pick up a nice 7.5lber out there last Thursday night. Went out Sat night and the north wind was blowing right into the dam there, felt like I was fishing in the ocean as wet as my feet were. Ended up snagging one and had two others on, but lost them (I imagine they were snagged too). Cheney is hard to fish from the shore due to them having nothing but a lot of bare shorline around. I would say pick up some waders and wade out onto the windy points and you could probably do okay. I do know they have a cove on the east northeast side of the lake they call Christmas tree cove. I imagine if you were looking for some Crappie, I would definately try there, especially this spring. All of us Wichita guys will have to meet up over there sometime and see if we can't go find some fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks for all the replies. I might have to check out the damn for some walleye action.

So where are the best spots for Crappie around? I normally have to go to Manhattan once or twice a week and I go up 77. I am actually going up today so I thought about hitting Marion Lake on my way home and seeing how it was. I have heard that the Crappie density there is decent. Any thoughts? I will let you guys know how I do.

Aaron

Post Thanks / Like

If you go to Marion, I've heard up north in the river they've been catching some Crappie and White Bass, but once again as far as Crappie go, I'm not sure what Marion really has to offer. I do know a few guys that catch them ice fishing right off the dam suspended. I've never had any luck with crappie there. I would say around the Wichita area, your best bet would be El Dorado. Nice lake to fish and have done decent there in the past, especially up north in all of those flooded trees!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainT16 View Post
    If you go to Marion, I've heard up north in the river they've been catching some Crappie and White Bass, but once again as far as Crappie go, I'm not sure what Marion really has to offer. I do know a few guys that catch them ice fishing right off the dam suspended. I've never had any luck with crappie there. I would say around the Wichita area, your best bet would be El Dorado. Nice lake to fish and have done decent there in the past, especially up north in all of those flooded trees!
    Yep, I figured El Dorado was going to be the best bet. My Dad is coming to town the weekend of April 12th and we talked about going up there. Anyone not have anything going on that Saturday and care to show us around? They should be on pretty good by then.

I actually ended up going to Marion County Lake today and caught 8 over 10" and another 10 or so under that which I threw back. I caught them all in the heated dock.

Aaron

Post Thanks / Like

Nice going man. Yeah, I absolutely forgot about Marion County lake. I've heard about the ol heated dock. Sounds like a nice day of fishing. As far as April, might be able to meet up with you guys over there? I'm not sure what is going on around here yet, but might be able to work something out. I will be in touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainT16 View Post
    Nice going man. Yeah, I absolutely forgot about Marion County lake. I've heard about the ol heated dock. Sounds like a nice day of fishing. As far as April, might be able to meet up with you guys over there? I'm not sure what is going on around here yet, but might be able to work something out. I will be in touch.

Yeah let me know on the April weekend. I am actually going to head up to El Dorado today. I have a couple jobs to look at and then I am going to see if I can get any good info on if/where they are biting and go try my luck for a couple of hours.