Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size TM for small boat/canoe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size TM for small boat/canoe?

I'm looking to buy a trolling motor to be used on multiple boats. Primarily a 10ft alum V-bottom (hull mount, we have an outboard on the back), AND a 14ft canoe (transon mount). Obviously I'll need more power in the canoe bec it's the primary prop, but I want it to be slow enough on the lowest setting to do some trolling in the V-bottom. I've had TMs that were too fast for their given purpose, and that's not cool. I would rather have one be too slow than too fast. But I don't want to buy a 20#-30# TM if it won't move the boats against the wind. Any idea what # to buy? Also, I know you haven't seen the boats, but are 30" shafts long enough to hull mount on small boats like that? Or are they pretty much just for bass-buster transoms?
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

alot of it depends on how much weight you will be carrying on these vehicles.. id go with around a 40 lb just to be safe..actually best way to measure is put boat in water and measure it.. even canoes and john boats have different hieghts on there sides and have different bouyancy... way i was told to check is to measure from the top of the boat to the waterline and add 23 inches

Post Thanks / Like

minn kota makes a 30 lb thrust with a 30 inch shaft that will do what you want it to. I had one for years and when I went to a new one I bought motor guide 30 lb. Totally different animal. It was too fast on the slowest setting. It did exactly what you said you didnt want it to do. I used it for a month or so, put it in the garage, and bought another minn kota 30lb. Works fine. I have mine on a 12ft flat and it is the main power for pond fishing. Shaft length is great too. Works perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the weight is why it's so hard to buy one for both. The v-hull is always loaded down (500+ pounds), but the canoe rarely has more than 350 lbs including passengers (usually I'm by myself, so total load is around 200 in canoe). I didn't realize that TMs were supposed to go that far into the water! I thought 12-18 inches would be good. Thanks John H!
    -Kid
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kman View Post
    minn kota makes a 30 lb thrust with a 30 inch shaft that will do what you want it to. I had one for years and when I went to a new one I bought motor guide 30 lb. Totally different animal. It was too fast on the slowest setting. It did exactly what you said you didnt want it to do. I used it for a month or so, put it in the garage, and bought another minn kota 30lb. Works fine. I have mine on a 12ft flat and it is the main power for pond fishing. Shaft length is great too. Works perfect.
    Good to know Kman. I'll keep brand differentiation in mind. Thanks! That's the kind of info I'm looking for!

Post Thanks / Like

I run an old Minn Kota 28# transom mount on my 10' aluminum boat. I call it a john boat, but it's actually a V hull. Like Kman, this is my main power on the little lakes and big ponds I fish. I'm not sure what length the shaft is, I'm thinking it's 30", and the mounting bracket lets me adjust it up and down. The speeds work well for me for trolling. I still think I can row faster or paddle a canoe faster than max speed on the TM, but I'm not out to win any races, and I fish small water, so it's not a problem for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joejv4 View Post
    I run an old Minn Kota 28# transom mount on my 10' aluminum boat. I call it a john boat, but it's actually a V hull. Like Kman, this is my main power on the little lakes and big ponds I fish. I'm not sure what length the shaft is, I'm thinking it's 30", and the mounting bracket lets me adjust it up and down. The speeds work well for me for trolling. I still think I can row faster or paddle a canoe faster than max speed on the TM, but I'm not out to win any races, and I fish small water, so it's not a problem for me.
    Sounds about right for me. We have an outboard for when we're relocating, but want something to use while we're fishing.

Anyone know where you can find them under 30#? Academy, BPS, etc carry 30# as the smallest, so I haven't even entertained the idea of one below 30#.

Post Thanks / Like

i wouldnt worry bout going smaller than 30.. one of them 100 buck ones at bps should be fine

Post Thanks / Like

not sure if they make them under 30 any more... my 28# is OLD - a hand-me-down from my father-in-law. I would think that there wouldn't be enough diff between 28# and 30# so you'd notice much of a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john h View Post
    i wouldnt worry bout going smaller than 30.. one of them 100 buck ones at bps should be fine
    Do those handles turn 180* for transom/hull mounts, or do I have to steer backwards when it's on the front of the boat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast