Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friday night Blackshear Report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday night Blackshear Report

Got there at 7 pm and fished the docks with trees inbetween going down the creek towards the main lake on your right...past Smoake bridge. Caught 10 nice ones before it even got dark. Some of the docks and some on trees. Fished the slough on the right going towards the main lake once the lights came on and the sun went down. Had my Friday limit of 30 by 11pm... :D .....dropped those off at the truck back at the ramp and went back out at 12. Caught some shiners at the landing with the cast net. Oh...during the daylight hours the crappie would only hit the black and chartreuse slider. Once the lights came on....they wouldn't touch anything but the Acid Rain kalins curly tail. Man they love that color. It was every cast pretty much. Very little time when they weren't biting.

Anyhow....since they were hitting so well....this time around I decided to keep only the largest and take my time. Well by 5 am I had a 30 fish limit of nice crappie. Let go about 40. Now for my excitement for the night. They were three and this is how they be. One of the docks in the slough has a big round pvc pipe that lays on top of the water under the light. Don't know what this is for. Crappie can be caught in it and pulled over it. I threw a shiner in there with a cork. After I catch a few nice crappie, it goes under again and this time its got weight on the other end. I frantically try to pull up anchor with one hand and holding the rod with the other, so I could get to the hoop to get to the fish. I thought it was a big hybrid or striper, until it jumped. It was about a four to five pound largemouth. He broke the line, and left me wanting....oh well.

I toss another one back in there because I haven't learned my lesson. Five minutes later the cork goes under then comes back up. I leave it for a few...then real in. There is weight. I pull up anchor and go over and proceed to land about a three foot gar. Pretty cool. Had him hooked perfectly. He didn't know he was hooked and was sitting there waiting for more shiners. Well since I had to paddle in there and cause all that noise, I went to another dock back in the creek. First couple of casts...couple crappie. Third cast...wham! Felt like a brick hit the lure. Then it bulldogs out into the cove. I knew it was a flathead after about five seconds. Sure enough ten minutes later I get a 20 pound flathead in the canoe. He hit that Acid Rain curly tail. He's going to taste goooooood. What a fight though. Not fast but really strong. I kind of cheated though. It was an ultralight rod....but 10 and 2 power pro...hehe. No worries about breaking the line, but the fight is still there because the small rod.

So......the night fishing is awesome right now on Blackshear. The crappie are on the shallow docks and there were quite a few larger ones this time around as many of the females have already dropped their baggage off and returned to feeding. If you didn't have the right color you wouldn't know they were there though. I tried 20 other colors of plastics....and the only thing that caught a few, was a red back/green belly baby shad assassin. They really weren't even interested in shiners....I caught about five on them. I guess its just the way that color looks under the lights. They wouldn't touch it during the day...black and treuse only. Crazy crappie. Well I'm hitting the hay for awhile, and then cleaning all those fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and in case you were wondering about the keeping two limits, so close together like that. I called the DNR in Albany and they said it wasn't a problem as long as I didn't have Fridays fish on the boat after midnight. If you read the booklet, it says you can't be in possession of more than one limit of fish at any given time. Well that didn't make sense if I was fishing somewhere away from home for two days in a row. They said its not a problem if your away from home.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crappster, hate I missed you. We went up to the lake late last night and went back to the trees and docks in the back of Swift Creek. Water was really muddy in the back. We didn't have any luck. We headed out around 1 am. Talked to a couple of guys at the landing who had fished the bridge most of the night and they didn't have any luck at all. Sounds like you were right on them.

If I'm understanding you right on the pipe that you're referring to...people use that setup to feed the fish in that area. They can throw the fish feed inside that hoop and it won't float off, it will stay right there inside that area they want to feed in.

Post Thanks / Like

That was the other great thing about this slough Skillet. The water was clear. There is a creek that runs into it and the water was that black water clear. It would muddy up a little when the current started back up into the creek, but not too bad. And the feeding thing would explain why that dock is a good one. There are a bunch of crappie hangin off that dock. Yeah wish I had ran into you up there. I would have been more than willing to tell you what was working, and shoot...I'd have given you a pack of those curly tails. I only saw one boat the whole time I was out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone was thinking the same as me. There were quite a few boats in the back of the creek.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hey crapster you dtiving the white jeepm wit the canoo on top . i met you at warwick as you wer turning off 300. i was driving the black elcomino with the topper on it . five minutes earlier i would have ben at the landing . got cought by the train at ashburn .
    we didnt do to well . guess daylight was the crappie bed time . no one that i talked to cought anything . we cought 8 crappie 1 cat and 2 bass . tried some jigs and nothing would hit them . guess you cought them all or fed them to much as they wasen`t hungry ....need to find that color you wer catching them on. didnt see any on the depth finder either . we went to the trees behind the rr trussel . i figured the creek back toward the lake would be muddy . we didn`t go past smoke bridge . papasage
    Last edited by papasage; 04-09-2005 at 05:29 PM.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Papasage, how far back down the creek did you go past the trussel?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

we went way back didnt go all the way. seen a dock sticking way out on the north side offa point . there was a dumptster on the bank . looked like a publick dumpster . one of those long ones . came back out just befor that [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by papasage; 04-09-2005 at 06:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    hey crapster you dtiving the white jeepm wit the canoo on top . i met you at warwick as you wer turning off 300. i was driving the black elcomino with the topper on it . five minutes earlier i would have ben at the landing . got cought by the train at ashburn .
    we didnt do to well . guess daylight was the crappie bed time . no one that i talked to cought anything . we cought 8 crappie 1 cat and 2 bass . tried some jigs and nothing would hit them . guess you cought them all or fed them to much as they wasen`t hungry ....need to find that color you wer catching them on. didnt see any on the depth finder either . we went to the trees behind the rr trussel . i figured the creek back toward the lake would be muddy . we didn`t go past smoke bridge . papasage
    Yeah papasage that was me. I didn't recognize that was you. I waved, just because I usually do to people with boats near the lake. I did wonder if that might have been you. Wish I had known, I would have stopped and met you back at the ramp to give you the run down on what was happening. I don't know why the fish weren't hitting around those trees at the back of the creek. They were active around the shallow docks up past Smoake bridge, even with the slightly muddy water. That was during the daylight too. That is the second time during the day I have had the crappie slam the black w/ chartreuse tail slider on Blackshear. Might be their preference. Here is the link to these....
    http://www.fishingworld.com/Slider/Details.tmpl?ID=95686825145080&Cart=11130922369028 6104

And here is the link to the Acid Rain Kalins curly tails. These are ridiculous at night, but didn't do any good during the day. The color kind of illuminates underneath the dock lights.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=13050&hvarDept=100&hvarE vent=&hvarClassCode=7&hvarSubCode=9&hvarTarget=bro wse

Its number 68.

If you don't like to order online....check down here in Valdosta at Fishermans Paradise. They can order either one for you, and have them in within 5 days. Which is actually quicker. Their number is.....229-249-0061.

Post Thanks / Like

i had a black and w/ chartreuse tail slider but they didnt hit it . . the links wouldnt come up . i will check at a bait shop here . they will git some for me if their suplier has them .
    when i saw you at the intersection my frind with me said something about the canoo and you wer pass me when i saw it . would like to go back tomorrow but the wife said i couldnt . ha ha not realey i have some things to do . may take off thursday and take her . sjhe will be off work then and i may take her . will have to see how things go . papasage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast