Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new to crappie fishing

Jacack Guest

Default new to crappie fishing

Ok here it goes, I have been fishing my whole life and have caught alot of fish fresh and saltwater but never a crappie as I grew up in the north and we just didnt have any to catch.I live in abingdon Va now (southwest Va ) and only a few miles from south holston lake. I have a boat and have caught a tone af bass and a few walleye on holston so i thought i would try my luck at the crappie and I have been skunked now in three outings. I am finding schools of fish suspeneded in creek openings as I was told i would but I just cant get a bit. I have tried jigs with minnows and jigs with out. I wanted to know if there is someone out this way that might like to go out and show my how its done I would gladly pay for fuel and bait in return for some help catching some fish.

any thoughts would be great, I am planning on going tou again later today

thanks
    Jared

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jacack

Quote Originally Posted by Jacack
    Ok here it goes, I have been fishing my whole life and have caught alot of fish fresh and saltwater but never a crappie as I grew up in the north and we just didnt have any to catch.I live in abingdon Va now (southwest Va ) and only a few miles from south holston lake. I have a boat and have caught a tone af bass and a few walleye on holston so i thought i would try my luck at the crappie and I have been skunked now in three outings. I am finding schools of fish suspeneded in creek openings as I was told i would but I just cant get a bit. I have tried jigs with minnows and jigs with out. I wanted to know if there is someone out this way that might like to go out and show my how its done I would gladly pay for fuel and bait in return for some help catching some fish.

any thoughts would be great, I am planning on going tou again later today

thanks
    Jared
    I live just up the road from you, Grahams Forge at exit 84. However I have never fished Holston. I am retired and fish a lot of lakes over the South. Most of our fishing is at Watts Bar, TN, High Rock, NC & Smith Mtn.,VA. We are going to High Rock Monday and you are welcome to tag along. There will be 3 or 4 boats from this area going down.

You will get a lot of help from the folks here on Crappie.com & any way I can help just let me know...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Jacack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    I live just up the road from you, Grahams Forge at exit 84. However I have never fished Holston. I am retired and fish a lot of lakes over the South. Most of our fishing is at Watts Bar, TN, High Rock, NC & Smith Mtn.,VA. We are going to High Rock Monday and you are welcome to tag along. There will be 3 or 4 boats from this area going down.

You will get a lot of help from the folks here on Crappie.com & any way I can help just let me know...
    I might be able to make it,where is it located? and how do i contact you directly

thanks alot
    Jared Costa
    I was also in the Navy

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jared, welcome to Crappie.com. Looking foward to sharing fishing tips with you.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Jacack
    I might be able to make it,where is it located? and how do i contact you directly

thanks alot
    Jared Costa
    I was also in the Navy

Did you get my email? If not, email your tel. # & I will give you a call this afternoon......Don Gridley
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from a new kid to. I have been out of the fishing times for a bit(family things). I bought me a square back canoe for my 50th birthday last year and got skunked a bunch. I live in NC and have goten a bunch of good tips from the fine gents here on the board.

Dave
    currituck NC
    dave
    in currituck