Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wonder Why?????

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wonder Why?????

I often wonder why the fish stack vertically. I have read some "crappie" reports about this, but am not convinced...Also, sometimes the fishies look like ducks in a row...Wonder why? One thing for sure, when I see this, the fish I'm after are not to be found. Wonder why? When nite fishing (and the minnows school around the floater lamp) sometimes I throw a jig in the minnow pool. The minnows all dart off at the same time in the same direction. Wonder why? Fish can see and smell, but can't tell the difference between live and artifical bait. Wonder why? If a turtle spots a bobber, it knows there is something there to snack on. Wonder why? Does this mean turtles are smarter than fish?

Just wondering,

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Five Crappie in one Aquarium

When I had 5 and 6 crappie in my small aquarium they often would all be in one end of the aquarium. At times one would fight the others so I decided to let three of the 5 go. Afterwards when there were only two crappie left in the aquarium I suspected that they would occupy opposite ends of the aquarium but that was not the case. Often they are on the bottom side by side at the same end of the aquarium. Guess they like to keep each other company. At times when there was not much room they two (usually the black crappie and one of the white crappie) would suspend above the others. Three of the white crappie usually claimed the bottom of the tank. At times all five would be on the bottom and huddled together.

Not sure why they act like that. Maybe they grew up staying together to protect themselves from bigger fish such as big Bass or big gars or big pike. But together they stay no matter how many are in the same tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I often wonder why the fish stack vertically. I have read some "crappie" reports about this, but am not convinced...Also, sometimes the fishies look like ducks in a row...Wonder why? One thing for sure, when I see this, the fish I'm after are not to be found. Wonder why? When nite fishing (and the minnows school around the floater lamp) sometimes I throw a jig in the minnow pool. The minnows all dart off at the same time in the same direction. Wonder why? Fish can see and smell, but can't tell the difference between live and artifical bait. Wonder why? If a turtle spots a bobber, it knows there is something there to snack on. Wonder why? Does this mean turtles are smarter than fish?

Just wondering,

Cane Pole
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default guess that's why they say ...

When you catch one Crappie, keep fishing the area ... there's usually more there. :D

Crappie are "schooling" fish from birth ... staying in schools of like size and year class. They can, occasionally overlap with schools of other Crappie of different size/year class ... especially on a good piece of structure, with good cover factors and food supply.

I've had similar experiences as Moose - with 2-3 Crappie in my aquarium, at one time ... they stayed in close proximity to each other, and usually at one end of the tank.

Generally speaking, Crappie school in a "pancake" shaped formation ... tightening up during adverse conditions, and spreading out during favorable ones. This formation is the norm for the majority of the year ... the exception being periods during the Spring, when they can scatter throughout a given area. ...............cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you what i wonder why about? Why does a boat start better after sitting for a week than it does sitting for two hours on the water? Guess it must be my old 175 horse Mariner getting moody.