PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras?

DENNIS BOWERS
04-09-2005, 06:21 AM
OK -I NEED SOME HELP HERE! I WANT TO BUY A CAMERA TO DOWNLOAD PICTURES WITH AN HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO LOOK FOR!!WENT TO E-BAY...LOL!JUST CONFUSED ME MORE!I NEED SOMETHING RELATIVLY SIMPLE AN DONT WANT TO SPEND A ARM & LEG.WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON WHAT TO LOOK FOR.THIS IS ALL PRETTY CONFUSING WHEN YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE?? THANKS FOR ANY HELP AN GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!DENNIS :confused:

lakeman
04-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Dennis, you get what you pay for, mine was not cheap, but I would not trade it for another, for two reasons. I have had it for a couple of years, and it is much improved now, if they still make it. I know shortly after I bought mine they gave it the ability to do short movies. It is the "SONY" digital "MAVICA", and the two thing great about it is it is cheap and easy to take many pictures. This is due to the fact that you use regular 2HD 1.44 formatted 3.5" diskettes instead of expensive cards and other devises. The disketts are cheap, you can carry as many of them with you as you want, can put a heii'uva lot of pictures on each diskett, and then get home eject the disk from your camera, stick it in your computer, and look at, save, email, post, or print your pictures. Then either store the disket, or reformat it and start over. the camera can even delete pic's off the disk, or reformat it. I have sold much stuff on ebay, and posted many pictures, which is all I used my "MAVICA" for for a long time. But then on vacation, or family gatherings I could take all of the pictures I wanted, on cheap diskets, when others run out of film, ot card space. I highly reccomend you lopok into one of these (if they still make it).

Tommy
04-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Dennis you just think your confused now! LOL... All you need is a camera with video in and video out. There are only a few older ones that have it and most are cam corders with a still mode. I bought a sony TRV460 last year just for recording video of fish. You should be able to pick it up at a pawn shop for a fairly reasonable price. It has a memory stick so you can record still pics as well as video. I have always stuck with Sony in the new digital age and have never been let down, so I really didn't look at any other cameras, but there are other out there that will do the same thing. You might want to take your underwater camera down to a pawn shop (if you decide on that route), and see which cameras will be compatable. If nothing else, it will help you decide on which one to purchase.

Barnacle Bill
04-09-2005, 07:06 AM
Dennis, first off I agree 100% with Lakeman in as much you get what you pay for. However, I did not want to spend a lot of money for something I was going to keep on the boat and in my tackle box for obvious reasons. I did a lot of research and wound up with a Nikon 2.0 Coolpix 2200. I was around $125 and is about as simple to use as you will find. It serves my purpose for fishing just fine and as a plus, it has more zoom than most cameras. But if you want it to also take family portraits, I wouldn't recommend it. For just snapshots, its great.

donr
04-09-2005, 07:24 AM
I did a lot of research last December for a digital camera that was waterproof, small, rugged and took quality pictures. The waterproof requirement eliminated all but a couple of cameras. The other requirements narrowed the list of possibles to two, one of which was not available in the U.S. and didn't look as good as the one I chose anyway. The bottom line is that I bought aa Pentax Optio 43WR and am totally pleased with it. It fits in my pocket, is warranted against submersion in a meter of water for 30 minutes, takes great photos and has long bettery life. It is a 4 megapixel camera, which means all the resolution you need and has every special feature I can imagine using plus more. It was not widely available but I got one from an online store for about $300. But for the waterproof factor, there were a lot of good choices for less money, but for a fisherman the waterproof feature is worth a lot and I consider it essential. Email me for more information.

lakeman
04-09-2005, 07:32 AM
My first one that I bought, only cost me $89.00 (it was an "AGFA"), and it was an expensive lesson. Since I have used the "SONY MAVICA" for many things, but when I bought the "AGFA", I only wanted one to post pictures on ebay of a lot of collectable items I wanted to sell, well it was cheap ($89.00), but useless, as I could not get a good enough detailed picture to show my item, in a matter that it would sell, plus it would only hold 20 pictures, on any one outing, or occaision, then had to be plugged into the computer, and downloaded before it could be used again, plus it burned up batteries very fast. So then I bought the "SONY MAVICA" ($399.00), and I have never been sorry. I do not have to purchase expensive cards, or memory sticks, as it uses the disketts, that hold a lot of pictures, and are real cheap (plus I had a lot of them from my older computers, that did not use CD's, plus it has a more than adequate rechargeable battery.

Fishnbuddy
04-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I have to agree with Lakeman about the Sony Mavica. It is simple to use and the floppy it uses makes it simple to download. Simply take it out and pop it into the floppy drive in your computer. On my computer it is in A drive and ready to read.

I've owned two of them, the first in 1998 when they were still a little pricey. I bought another just last year at Best Buy for only $249. It was a demo model, but had the full warranty.

The only draw back to the Mavica is it's size (there are smaller, shirt pocket cameras now) and it is only 1.2 megapixels which means while it is great for selling on eBay and downloading photos to sites, and makes decent 4x6 and 5x7 prints, there are other cameras that will provide much sharper photos.

labill
04-09-2005, 11:20 AM
OK -I NEED SOME HELP HERE! I WANT TO BUY A CAMERA TO DOWNLOAD PICTURES WITH AN HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO LOOK FOR!!WENT TO E-BAY...LOL!JUST CONFUSED ME MORE!I NEED SOMETHING RELATIVLY SIMPLE AN DONT WANT TO SPEND A ARM & LEG.WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON WHAT TO LOOK FOR.THIS IS ALL PRETTY CONFUSING WHEN YOU DONT HAVE A CLUE?? THANKS FOR ANY HELP AN GOOD FISHIN TO YA!!!DENNIS :confused:

Hi, Dennis.....Like you, I wanted something I didn't have to go in debt for but would make a good all around camera. I researched cameras for two months, and finally came up with the Kodak cx7330/3.1 MP. It has the highest customer satisfaction in photo quality, simplicity, and ease of use. If you would like to see the photos, look on the LA board under the threads "Neighbor's Catch.... Photos" and "speediib." Both of the groups of pics were taken on the lowest quality setting and are still great pics. Check it out. Also, you may want to go to www.circuitcity.com and see if they currently have them on sale. I paid just under $150.00 after rebate with a 150 mb card, rechargeable batteries, and the charger. It also comes with a "usb port to camera" wire to load your pics to your 'puter.

DmDuck
04-09-2005, 11:21 AM
If you can even get one anymore ...skip the Evision Megapro too , it works but that's about it , burns up the batteries very quickly and only holds about 18 pics .

I got it through the AOL Store , and lets just say my internet provider hosed me !!

unknown 5
04-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I use a Sony camcorder that firewires right into my Sony computer that came with all of the software to edit pictures and video. But, an outfit like mine would set you back around $3000. It is worth it to me as I do alot of video taping of my hunting dogs and folks seem to want my hunting dog videos.
I am going to post a picture I took today with my $40 Sipex digital camera. It came with software and a USB connector to hook right into my computer. It will even do small video clips. It doesn't take near as good of pictures as my camcorder but for $40, it was money well spent. It is about the size of a matchbook and runs off of a AAA battery. I edited this picture but you can see it does a nice job. My fishing buddy, Quickfire67 caught these fish today. The one he is holding is 12&1/2" long. He had a HUGE one on but tried to lift him in the boat with his pole instead of lipping him or netting him.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/054973.jpg

DENNIS BOWERS
04-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks Everyone For The Info.!!now At Least I Know What To Look For An What Notto Buy!!gonna Go To E-bay An Check Out Sony Mavica,kodak Cx7330/3.1 Mp,& Nikon Cool Pix!!thanks Again To Everyone An Good Fishin To Ya All!!!dennis

Crapbie
04-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi, Dennis.....Like you, I wanted something I didn't have to go in debt for but would make a good all around camera. I researched cameras for two months, and finally came up with the Kodak cx7330/3.1 MP. It has the highest customer satisfaction in photo quality, simplicity, and ease of use. If you would like to see the photos, look on the LA board under the threads "Neighbor's Catch

I have a kodak 3.2mp and I;m happy with it, pretty much any camera over 3mega pixels will be just fine. Anything else will be crappy low quality pictures unless its a real good one. I got mine from walmart cheap on sale and atleast I could have taken it back anytime if It had broke.

fishingpox
04-09-2005, 04:16 PM
www.ubid.com look in here find one they are selling alot of ,refurbished or new, you just might get it pretty cheap

fiddlefarter
04-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I have the Kodak 7330 too and I like it very much. Takes dang good pics and haas a lot of features I don't have a clue as to what they are. Is that a sign that something is good or what? All in all its very easy to use I got it in a set that came with a printer that prints regular glossy photos. Now I got lots of pictures of my dog cause I can't catch no fish. Took this with it and all pics I've posted.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/fiddlefarter07/100_0221.jpg

bella
04-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Anything with 3.2 pix will do the job. Olympus has a water resistant for 199$ . Good luck & Good fishing

Tommy
04-10-2005, 07:05 AM
My Bad Dennis. I thought you were wanting something to record pics off your under water camera. Must not have had that first cup of coffee before reading your post.
Now in the other department, I have a Sony Mavica CD 1000 that I use for still shots. Looks like the guys have given you plenty of great advice in the other posts. For sure I can vouch for LaBill's camera. After having our pics taken with it and him emailing them to me. It's as good as they come for the price tag!

Moose1am
04-10-2005, 08:08 AM
That Pentax Optio 43WR was featured in an artile that I read in the April/May 2005 Issue of In-Fisherman Magazine. They said that it meet the JIS7 Waterproof standards. JIS7 is the standard that many marine radios boast of.

On page 97 of this magazine they cover most all the major issues to look at when buying a digital camera.

Resolution
Zoom Range
Size and Weight
Weather Resistance
LCR Monitor and a Viewfinder
Exposure and Scence Selection
Focus Assistance
Battery Life
Movie Clip
Price
These are some of the items that they said to look at for each camea that you want to buy.

How much is that little Pentax Optio 43 WR?

[

TomC
04-10-2005, 08:08 AM
Finally an opportunity for me to contribute to this forum. I’m a newbie to crappie fishing but I’m a second shooter for one of the highest end wedding photographers in the Southeast and we shoot entirely with digital gear so hopefully my insight will help you with your purchase decision. To begin with you really don’t need more than a 4mp camera and anyone that tells you otherwise doesn’t have a clue what there talking about which is unfortunately will be the case with 95% of people that will be answering your questions in the stores. Actually what most average consumers don’t realize is that you can actually see a decrease in quality in consumer point and shoot camera’s when you start getting up into the higher 8mp cameras. It’s a long complicated story but it has to with the small sensor that is in point and shoot digital cameras. Forget all the megapixel marketing stuff you hear because unless you see yourself printing photos larger than 8.5”x11” on a regular basis, a 4 or 5 megapixel camera is all you need. With regard to which brand and model to go with……stick with Canon. Theres a major reason why the vast majority of Pro’s shoot Canon……just get a Canon and be done with it. I shoot higher end pro gear so I’m not as up to speed on the latest Canon point and shoots but I would go to dpreview.com and check out the reviews and get the highest rated cheap Canon point and shoot you can find. I’m headed out the door to church right now but will check it out later today and get you a few specific model #’s. If you decide to got the used route which is totally hit or miss….you just never know what you are going to get….I would look at the Canon A series or the 4 megapixel Canon G3 which is one of the best all time Canon point and shoot digital cameras. Definitely get a camera that takes AA batteries and go the following website and order you a set of Powerex Maha rechargeable AA batteries which are the best you can buy.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

I would actually recommend you buying your camera online from one of the following websites as they have very good service and excellent prices.

http://onecall.com/
http://buydig.com

Good luck

Tom

scrap
04-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Anything with 3.2 pix will do the job. Olympus has a water resistant for 199$ . Good luck & Good fishing

I have a 3.2 mp Olympus that work great. It has all the features of more expensive cameras. 15 second movies are a great feature. I got mine at Wally World for around $150.00 bucks + added a 128mb XD card for $35.00.
So for under $200.00 I have a camera that can hold 400 pictures and it came with software for downloading to computer via USB2.0. For Christmas we received an Olympus photo printer. You can plug the camera directly into the printer, no computer needed. Talk about quality prints - wow. I think they are better than prints from film. Olympus uses a different process than most. It is not inkjet printing.

Here is a sample of a 3.2 mp picture taken with my camera.

GABoy
04-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Finally an opportunity for me to contribute to this forum. I’m a newbie to crappie fishing but I’m a second shooter for one of the highest end wedding photographers in the Southeast and we shoot entirely with digital gear so hopefully my insight will help you with your purchase decision. To begin with you really don’t need more than a 4mp camera and anyone that tells you otherwise doesn’t have a clue what there talking about which is unfortunately will be the case with 95% of people that will be answering your questions in the stores. Actually what most average consumers don’t realize is that you can actually see a decrease in quality in consumer point and shoot camera’s when you start getting up into the higher 8mp cameras. It’s a long complicated story but it has to with the small sensor that is in point and shoot digital cameras. Forget all the megapixel marketing stuff you hear because unless you see yourself printing photos larger than 8.5”x11” on a regular basis, a 4 or 5 megapixel camera is all you need. With regard to which brand and model to go with……stick with Canon. Theres a major reason why the vast majority of Pro’s shoot Canon……just get a Canon and be done with it. I shoot higher end pro gear so I’m not as up to speed on the latest Canon point and shoots but I would go to dpreview.com and check out the reviews and get the highest rated cheap Canon point and shoot you can find. I’m headed out the door to church right now but will check it out later today and get you a few specific model #’s. If you decide to got the used route which is totally hit or miss….you just never know what you are going to get….I would look at the Canon A series or the 4 megapixel Canon G3 which is one of the best all time Canon point and shoot digital cameras. Definitely get a camera that takes AA batteries and go the following website and order you a set of Powerex Maha rechargeable AA batteries which are the best you can buy.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/

I would actually recommend you buying your camera online from one of the following websites as they have very good service and excellent prices.

http://onecall.com/
http://buydig.com

Good luck

Tom

I am also a professional photographer and I agree completely with TomC.....get a Canon and for most applications, disregarding what Tom and I need these cameras for, a 3 - 4 MegaPixel Canon will do EVERYTHING you can possibly want it to. There is no need for you to get anything with a higher resolution than that.....

I have recently switched completely to digital and I love it.....I spend a little more time on the computer, but less time cutting negatives and mailing stuff to the lab....now I can just upload photos on their website and just wait for the pictures to arrive in the mail.....what a nice change!!!!

I would not really recommend going the used route because you really don't know how well the camera has been cared for and not to mention if there is one minor scratch on the lens....EVERY single picture you take will have that scratch on it.....it isn't really worth it, especially with how cheap the new camera's have become today......

Just my $ 0.02

- GABoy

Small Minnow
04-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Forget everything you have read or heard. Go get you a Kodak 6230. It will do everthing you want it to do. From zoom to 96 photos in it's internal memory you can't go wrong. You also get the Easy Share photo program which allows you to seperate the photos in different albums.
Small Minnow

Barnacle Bill
04-10-2005, 11:33 AM
NO No No. Go with a 4 X 5 Speed Graphic. Now we will see how old some of you really are. LOL

DENNIS BOWERS
04-10-2005, 02:13 PM
I"ve Got A Bid On E-bay On A Sony Mavia Fd83 3.5 Complete With 5 Floppy Disks,cd,ect. They Say Their User Friendly,save Money On Memory Cards, An Easy To Download.guess I"ll Find Out If My Bids The Highest.hope I Made A Decent Choice ?? Good Fishin To Ya All !!!dennis

GABoy
04-11-2005, 05:31 AM
I"ve Got A Bid On E-bay On A Sony Mavia Fd83 3.5 Complete With 5 Floppy Disks,cd,ect. They Say Their User Friendly,save Money On Memory Cards, An Easy To Download.guess I"ll Find Out If My Bids The Highest.hope I Made A Decent Choice ?? Good Fishin To Ya All !!!dennis

I personally don't like the Mavica's because of that very reason all your pictures go onto a floppy disk......what if you lose the disk? And what if you are taking pictures and run out of disks to put pictures on? Or what if you leave the disk in the sunlight too long and it melts and you cannot recover your pictures? If you are going to be spending all day in the sun...this might be a potential problem.

Certainly not trying to knock your decision, just wanted to give you some food for thought!

I guess I am always wanting a back up of all my pictures somewhere....so I prefer to have them on my computer and make a disk when I need it for something.

But then again, depending on the price, it might be worth pre-planning for these things!!

TomC
04-11-2005, 06:02 AM
Well if your deal on the Sony falls through it would be hard to wrong with this little Canon for $166, no tax or shipping costs

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNPSA510

Sounds like youir needs are pretty basics so a no frills camera should do the trick. BY the time you get some good batteries and a Compact Flash Card you will add another $75 or so but you'll have a good camera, new with warranty and you will be set for years. With regard to storage I prefer CF cards........partcularly since you can run over a CF card with your car, go pick it up off the driveway and drop it in the washer for a good cleaning (or the lake while fishing), give it a good dry in the dryer and 8 out of 10 times your data will still be on the card.

Tom

Barnacle Bill
04-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Keep in mind that floppies are becoming a thing of the past. When I bought my new puter, a floppy drive was an add-on. I opted for a memory stick which is fantastic but I don't know of any camera they will work on. Yet.

GABoy
04-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Keep in mind that floppies are becoming a thing of the past. When I bought my new puter, a floppy drive was an add-on. I opted for a memory stick which is fantastic but I don't know of any camera they will work on. Yet.

Exactly, my computer does not have a floppy drive at all, and it is a very new computer.

Cane Pole
04-11-2005, 11:06 AM
I have a Cannon A20. I have had it a long time. It takes a beating, but keeps on working. It is a battery hog (went to rechargables), but it is tough. I also have a MV73 Mavica. Dropped it one time, and broke display. Sony wants 180 bucks to replace the display. It was only 2 weeks old when I broke it. Good thing I kept my Cannon. Any one who needs a MV73 for spare parts, let me know.

GABoy
04-11-2005, 11:09 AM
I have a Cannon A20. I have had it a long time. It takes a beating, but keeps on working. It is a battery hog (went to rechargables), but it is tough. I also have a MV73 Mavica. Dropped it one time, and broke display. Sony wants 180 bucks to replace the display. It was only 2 weeks old when I broke it. Good thing I kept my Cannon. Any one who needs a MV73 for spare parts, let me know.

Another case and point....Canon is the stuff!!!

Of course it really depends on what you started taking pictures with....there are some that will contend that Nikon is the stuff.....

I am a Canon man....

england
04-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Speaking from experience. Out in a boat, what can happen will happen.I buy Walmart cheapies for taking fish pictures,or I use my phone. My wife won't let me take the good stuff with me.I once lost her video recorder overboard while trying to video my partner catching crappie in stake beds. It was a bad few weeks around the household after that one.

Raintree
04-11-2005, 11:43 AM
I also don't like the Sony MAVICA because of size and the fact that its old & slow and that disks are not very durable in an outdoor enviroment.

I have had 3 digi cameras and started with an Olymups C-700 and then upgraded to C-750 I would get something thing that is simple to use and definatly something that uses AA batteries. That is key feature I look for because those custom batteries are hard to find and are expensive. And I havn't been to a marina yet that doesn't sell AA's

Both of my Olympus cameras have been great. I started with a 2.2MP then upgraded for the 4MP camera. They both are awsome and takes outstanding shots.

You can get a C700 series pretty cheap now on e-bay. When I sold mine over a year ago they were going for about $175.

I did pick up a Fuji small pocket camera 3.2 MB just for its size and convience but I find myself using the Olympus more often.

In my opinion I would stay away from any brand that is unfamialar. I would stay with something like Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Kodack & Minolta

Personaly I would stay away from Sony not because they are bad cameras actually they take creat pictures but because they are proprietary. Meaning they are the only ones who use memory sticks and they almost always use custom batteris.

Most Canon & Kodak use SD or compact flash most Olympus & Fuji use Smart Media or XD cards,

All media cards now days are getting pretty cheap you can get a 256MB card for less than $50 bucks that's over 400 pictures on one small card. How many diskettes would that be?

LBM
04-11-2005, 11:54 AM
I've had a Cannon A70 for 20 months and love it. Its got more features than I'll probably ever use and takes great pictures. Carry it all the time on the boat to take a picture of that biggun that I'm going to catch one of these days. Haven't got that biggun yet but sure have a nice bunch of sunrise pictures on the water.
Haven't abused it at all but the other day it wouldn't turn on complety but showed a error code of E18. Called Cannon and was offered two options #1 send it in for repair and pay whatever to fix over a time period of 6 weeks or more or #2 They ship a refurbished camera to me (with 6 months warranty) in two days and return my camera in the box the refurbished came in for around $170. Sure hope the computer chips hold up longer than 20 months?

DENNIS BOWERS
04-12-2005, 04:52 AM
I Didnt Get The Sony--was Outbid.sounds Like I Got Lucky!! Ok What About A Nikon Coolpix 4500?or A Canon A85?? I"ve Got Bids On Both Of Them-the Nikon Has Got All Kinds Of Stuff With It! Good Fishin To Ya!!dennis

GABoy
04-12-2005, 06:52 AM
I Didnt Get The Sony--was Outbid.sounds Like I Got Lucky!! Ok What About A Nikon Coolpix 4500?or A Canon A85?? I"ve Got Bids On Both Of Them-the Nikon Has Got All Kinds Of Stuff With It! Good Fishin To Ya!!dennis

I think it may have been a blessing in disguise, I really don't like the Mavica's at all.

I personally like the Canon A85 over the Nikon Coolpix, but again just personal preference. One reason I like Canon so much is that I have always had Canon, I know how to operate a Canon inside and out and all of my accessories are for a Canon, and I have NEVER EVER had any problems with any of the 6 Canon cameras I have purchased. I couldn't ever say a bad word about Canon considering their track record from my personal experience.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Nikon does not take regular AA batteries whereas the Canon does. These display screens on digital cameras seriously EAT UP some batteries if you leave it on.

mudwitch
04-12-2005, 11:20 PM

mudwitch
04-13-2005, 12:17 AM
You sound like me. I finally got my first computer last Christmas. I was thinking Sony disc camera. my frds tlked me out of it. the disc drive is now a option on new computers, so it looks to be on the way out. I bought a canon powershot s 50. It came with software that makes the downloads a breeze. The battery life is amazing. Pictures are great. It was not the cheapest. I think 300.00. I dont buy things twice so i bought a good one . my last 35 is 19 years this year and still going....get Consumer reports,..go to best buy and make the salesmanchild let you play with the demos and ask him questions....as for a camera for the boat, i use the cheezy throwaways. Muddy

Barnacle Bill
04-13-2005, 12:49 AM
I think it may have been a blessing in disguise, I really don't like the Mavica's at all.

I personally like the Canon A85 over the Nikon Coolpix, but again just personal preference. One reason I like Canon so much is that I have always had Canon, I know how to operate a Canon inside and out and all of my accessories are for a Canon, and I have NEVER EVER had any problems with any of the 6 Canon cameras I have purchased. I couldn't ever say a bad word about Canon considering their track record from my personal experience.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Nikon does not take regular AA batteries whereas the Canon does. These display screens on digital cameras seriously EAT UP some batteries if you leave it on.\\

No No I don't know about all of them but my Nikon uses regular AA batteries.

DENNIS BOWERS
04-13-2005, 03:23 AM
I"m Winning On The Canon,bid Clear Up To 135.00 On The Nikon An Stopped.kinda Scared To Bid More On A Used Camera Although The Buyer Guarentees It. I"ve Bought Guarenteed Fishin Lures Before--must Have Been Me Cause They Werent Worth A Darn!! On The Lite Side The Crappie Are Starting To Move In Shallow Here!!hopefully I"ll Soon Be Posting Some Pic"s-catchin Some Dandys!!!thanks Again An Good Fishin To Ya All!!dennis

GABoy
04-13-2005, 04:16 AM
\\

No No I don't know about all of them but my Nikon uses regular AA batteries.

Some of the newer ones do take "AA", but this is straight from the specifications on the Nikon Coolpix 4500

"Battery - Included rechargeable battery EN-EL1 or 2CR5 Lithium battery"

What I was saying is that those 2CR5 batteries are not cheap (1 of them generally run about $ 10 or so) in the event that the rechargeable battery doesn't appear to hold up long enough for the event, which the charging power, like any other battery starts to diminish over time.

This is from B&H Photo's website the pricing on a 2CR5 battery:

Kodak 2CR5 6v Lithium Battery

Mfr# 8833162 • B&H# KO2CR5

Our Price: $ 9.95

bhodges
04-13-2005, 07:22 AM
I have a Nikon 995 and I use the rechargeable. It lasts a LONG time. No reason it won't last a couple days if you aren't taking tons(100s) of pictures or leaving the monitor on constantly and for extremely long periods. I keep a couple extra CR5s in the bag for emergencies, but I've never had to pull them out. I've taken it on a week long vacation and never needed to recharge it.

And yeah, avoid the Mavica's. They were great when they came out because they used floppys, when memory cards were expensive. The biggest downsides are they arebig, slow, disks don't hold much, limited quality because of using disks, disk drive VERY prone to mechanical failure, imminent obsolecense of floppies, plummeting price of regular memory cards. You can get something much better for less these days.

I sold cameras for Wolf for 7years, including when we started selling the first consumer digitals. Kodak DC20 and 25. Picture quality was 'so good', you could print a photo the size of a postage stamp and it would look 'ok'. :) When I was selling, I hated Kodaks and Fujis, liked Olympus, Nikon, and Canon. That's just the digitals though. Glad I'm out of retail now though. Five years removed, and technology changes on that stuff every 2 weeks.

fwiw, profit margins on batteries are ridiculous. Camera stores sell those 2CR5s for 12-15 bucks, cost is somewhere around 3-4.