Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Heard this before???

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Anyone Heard this before???

I had a mechanic warn me this past week about putting the new gas in 2 stroke motors. He states that after the first of 08 they started adding more Ethanol in the 87% gas. He said that the ethanol is shreding 2 stroke motors. He states that guys with brandnew chainsaws & weedeaters are bringing them in and they are only 1 month old.

He said you can buy a test tube that someone sells for detecting how much ethanol is in the gas. He said that even some stations around here say they have 92% but actually they have the same amount as 87%.

My problem is I don't want to even think about having to check every gas station around the midwest trying to find a gas that wont harm a 2 stroke boat engine.

And I durn sure dont want to go buy a new motor either. If this is true, I"m gonna be one pissy dude.

I emailed Mercury about it. But they said it would take 4 days to get a emailed response. Great HUH?

Lee

Post Thanks / Like

Well so much for 4 days for a response. I copied and pasted the email from Mecury for you all to see. Lee

Mr. Setser,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your 1995 Mercury 25 hp motor, serial # 0G121235. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Please check the following link for additional information regarding ethanol:

http://northamerica.mercurymarine.co...thanol.php#top

Information on ethanol and the effects it has on outboard engines can be found at our website. The address is www.mercurymarine.com/outboard_faqs, then click on the title "Ethanol". This information was also distributed to our dealer network as a service bulletin, number 2006-10. It is a problem for many, because most marine engines are not used on a daily basis. We would also strongly recommend using fuel stabilizer in every tank at fill-up, and Quickleen, a Mercury product, to help keep the system clean. Both products are concentrated.

Mercury recommends the addition of an in-line water separating fuel filter. The Mercury kit is part number 35-802893A4, suggested list $48.21. You will also need two threaded hose barbs for the bracket, part number 22-89771T2, suggested list $5.67 each. The Mercury filter is 10 microns.

Water separating fuel filters are available through the website by accessing Parts Express (under the "shop on line" tab). They are located under Accessories, and in the fuel products section.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, CST.

Sincerely,

Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance

Post Thanks / Like

Good info Lee. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeeinMo View Post
    He said you can buy a test tube that someone sells for detecting how much ethanol is in the gas. He said that even some stations around here say they have 92% but actually they have the same amount as 87%.
    If a gas station is selling 92% and calling it 87%.....I know who would be buying me a new motor!!!!

It is not legal in the U.S. to market any ethanol fuel as gasoline if it contains more than 10 percent ethanol.
    :D
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

If what I was pumping was either "87% GAS" OR "92% GAS", I would be extremely upset. If the other 13% or 8% was water, it would be freezing up in people's lines all the time! I think what we're actually talking about is the OCTANE, not percent gas.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that is the case in Holt off PP hyw at the Conoco Station. The mechanic is across the street. And this is the place where most of the problems came from.

Do some searches for yourself. I saw one from Boaters World too. They say that 10% is the max. it can be, more then that and it voids your warrenty from your boat motor manufacture.

I guarentee you one darn thing. If one place is doing it, then more people are too. And just how do you prove it? I mean you think the gas station that sold you the gas wont do nothing. How could you prove it?

As much as these freggin motors cost. I know I would be fighting mad.
    Also read somewhere where they are trying to get E-25 going. If they do that we are in big trouble.

If your running a motor older than 90 you need to be real careful is what I am reading. Lee

Post Thanks / Like

BP Premium 93 Octane on Battlefield in Springfield has no ethanol in it.
    That's the only one I know of that Guarantees no ethanol.
    I believe there are others though. I'm still searching them out.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=LeeinMo;472644]I had a mechanic warn me this past week about putting the new gas in 2 stroke motors. He states that after the first of 08 they started adding more Ethanol in the 87% gas. He said that the ethanol is shreding 2 stroke motors. He states that guys with brandnew chainsaws & weedeaters are bringing them in and they are only 1 month old.

He said you can buy a test tube that someone sells for detecting how much ethanol is in the gas.

Lee if you think you are getting higher amounts of ethanol than stated at the pump just get a small sample and take it to your local car dealer and ask them to test it.I work for GM and i have a tool that measures ethanol content and it only takes about 15 sec. to do. As has been said earlier anything above 10% has to be marked at the pump as E-85 flex fuel or equivalent by law.I deal with people putting E-85 fuel in non E-85 fuel cars all the time and it will cuase some problems.Like i said it is very quick and easy to test.
    Hope this helps.
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Post Thanks / Like

You know Mercury's response is not geared towards the problem that Lee has brought up. His issue is stations selling gasoline that has more than 10% ethanol and calling it something else. That is against the law in several states...but some unscrupulous gas station owners may try to bend the rules.

What I see Mercury suggesting is that there are three issues with using ethanol in your outboard.

1. Do not use gas with more than 10% ethonol for your outboard
    2. Install a filter to capture contaminants that may clog your fuel system due to the fact that ethanol is a wonderful solvent and will cause fuel tanks to shed layers of varnish.
    3. Use an additive in EVERY tank of fuel to combat water because ethanol sucks up moisture.

Here is another good read on the subject:

http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/ar...expert-ethanol
    Progressive Marine Insurance SUCKS!. If you hit a submerged object they will try to prove manufacturers defect....stay away from them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gasahol Tester

Test kit determines ethanol level in fuel.
    This come from "Bass & Walleye Boats" magazine March 2008. Page 22.
    Briggs & Stratton sell this devise and is priced at $6.00. It consists of a 6" tall glass tube with graduations and directions etched on the side. A screw-on cap is threaded on the top of the tube to hold the test fuel and water.

You can order this gasohol test kit (part #100023) from any Briggs & Stratton dealer or factory parts center.

Magazine source:
    Briggs & Stratton
    Dept BWB
    P.o. Box 702
    Milwaukee, WI 53201
    800/247-4477
    briggsandstatton.com

try this link

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...spx?pid=100023
    Last edited by CrappieHead; 03-25-2008 at 04:39 PM.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast