Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A thought about HIGH GAS PRICES

Post Thanks / Like

Default A thought about HIGH GAS PRICES

I have fished with the same few guys all my life. Whether hauling a boat or just going to wade a stream, I usually end up driving. I have always let my buddies get off with paying for the bait and beer and never charging for gas. I did the math and here it is.......

The lakes I like to fish the average mileage is about 100 miles roundtrip.

Truck Miles Per Gallon: 16
    Average Gas Needed: 6.25 Gallons
    Gas Price (MARCH) $3.30

Average Spent Per Trip On Gas: $20.63

Minnows $.75 doz (x) 10 doz: $7.50
    (6) Coors Lights: $4.00

While I'm paying $20.63 for a normal trip fishing, my buddies are paying $11.50. With gas prices as high as they are, the next time I take someone fishing, I'll throw the minnow trap in the river the night before, go to the grocery and buy a case of beer, drink 12 beers the night before (save 12) and charge my buddies $21 gas! Maybe my thinking is bad, but I might come out ahead in this deal. May not have any fishing buddies left after I try this a few times Maybe I'll let them buy bait and beer for the lakes a little closer to home I picked at my Dad for being tight with a buck all my life, now look at me! The nut doesn't fall too far from the tree
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapermouthLegend View Post
    Minnows $.75 doz (x) 10 doz: $7.50
    Minnows are that cheap???

Make me wonder why people use jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

MInners are 1.25 a dozen here.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Lol ....

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Minnows are that cheap???

Make me wonder why people use jigs.
    I'll tell ya why I do, even though minnows aren't that cheap around here, anymore :p .... it's because I can catch a lot more fish on an equal amount ($$ wise) of jigs, than on minnows ... and still have most, if not all of them, left to take with me next time. Minnows, on the other hand, are eaten by the fish, or dumped out before the trip home (no place to keep them in my Apt !! :p )

And Papermouth : If I drank 12 brewski's the night before, there'd be no fishing the next day :D (besides, it's illegal to have a open container of alcoholic beverage onboard your boat, in KY ) Not to mention the fact that I gave up alcohol back in 1980 ... and never allowed it in my boat, nor drank it while fishing.
    I don't think I'd change the way I divided up the expenses, without a mano e mano chat with my fishing buds. Total expenses divided two or three ways is much more conducive to keeping friendships, than trying to capitalize (profit) on the situation. If they can't afford their share of the cost ... I'd take them anyway, if they were my buds (I've been in their shoes before). But, if they just won't offer to equally share expenses (and can afford it) ... they might find themselves sitting home

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I don't think I'd change the way I divided up the expenses, without a mano e mano chat with my fishing buds. Total expenses divided two or three ways is much more conducive to keeping friendships, than trying to capitalize (profit) on the situation. If they can't afford their share of the cost ... I'd take them anyway, if they were my buds (I've been in their shoes before). But, if they just won't offer to equally share expenses (and can afford it) ... they might find themselves sitting home
    Well said. What ya could do to even it out a bit is have them throw in lunch for ya and call it even or like Crappiepappy said just evenly divide the expense up between all particpating members.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-24-2008 at 07:13 AM.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

My fishing friends split gas and expenses .

Post Thanks / Like

We change up every trip, my boat and truck this trip. There boat and truck next trip. Bait is shared as well as food and drinks. No adult beverages until the fish are being cleaned at home and no one going anywhere. This might not work for everyone but it works for the group I fish with.
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

Yep... we do the same sort of thing with my buddies and me. Take turns who's driving us, and split up the cost between us regardless of who's turn it is.

Post Thanks / Like

If you think gas prices suck, you should be an owner/operator of a dump truck or tractor/trailer. Diesel is outrages. My truck is for sale.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TnRidge View Post
    My fishing friends split gas and expenses .
    As do mine
    Stinkies Daddy

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast