Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mississippi Cats

Just outside Memphis but do all my fishing in North Mississsippi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mississippi Cats

Hi everyone I don't think I introduced myself on this forum yet. My name is Spencer but as you can tell I have no luck. Since fishing is hard not having a boat I thought I would give catfishing a try. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on places to go in North Mississippi where you can catch some nice cats from the bank. I'm not looking for anything big just some nice ones to eat on.

Thanks,
    Spencer
    I sit and wait only to sit and wait!

Post Thanks / Like

i personally do not know any spots there but when catfishing all i do is bank fish i might use a boat to get from point a to b but i am strictly a bank catfishermen

for flatheads i use no smaller than a ambassadeur 6500on a 10 foot trophy cat rod and 30 pound cajun red 7/0 to 10/0 kahle hooks and a power swivel with a 2 foot leader no roll sinkers and usually baited with live bluegill....and really do quite well i usually cast a few deep but most within 4 to 8 feet of water mostly really close to structure and or the bank

as far as channel cats you can use as small as a zebco 33 from wally world with an assortment of baits from chicken beef or pork liver or fatty chicken cut up into pieces and soaked in cool aid powder over night . hot dogs or those stinky prepared baits from the store channel cats are not picky but usually what alot of people target when looking for good eating catfish in my book as far as wanting a good eating fish that fights like crazy nothing beats a channel cat pound for pound

and as far as blue cats racn and stonewall are great blue catfishermen maybe they could help there hope i was to some help atleast and if you need anything else just ask
    is that a bite...YEAH FISH DONT HAVE HANDS

Just outside Memphis but do all my fishing in North Mississsippi
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info!
    I sit and wait only to sit and wait!

Post Thanks / Like

You might try Arkabutla, we jug there quite a bit with good success most years. For some reason this year we can't get on the fish to save our lives.

I've never bank fished there but I would be willing to bet you could hook up with a few from the bank.
    Get Your Grease Hot!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoLuck View Post
    Hi everyone I don't think I introduced myself on this forum yet. My name is Spencer but as you can tell I have no luck. Since fishing is hard not having a boat I thought I would give catfishing a try. I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas on places to go in North Mississippi where you can catch some nice cats from the bank. I'm not looking for anything big just some nice ones to eat on.

Thanks,
    Spencer
    Spencer, I'm new to North Mississippi but have been doing a lot of scouting and research. Piney Point on the northeast side of Sardis looks like a pretty good place to bank fish. It is a sandy and clean bank. I dropped by there a couple of weeks ago and two gentlemen were bank fishing. One had what looked like a 10 pound Channel Cat and both had several nice eating size cats.

You can get there by taking route 78 to Holly Springs, then toward Oxford on Route 7. Turn on Route 310 going west, and it will be te second access point on Sardis, just past Wyatts Crossing. There is no boat ramp there, but nice access. Four wheel drives can go right on the "beach" there. There is abundant parking.