Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Full spool 1/8" from lip ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Full spool 1/8" from lip ?

How much line do you guys put on your spool for best cast and less bird nests ? I've always filled my spool 1/8" from the top of the front spool lip. Some people go to 1/16" and tell me 1/8" from the lip will reduce casting distance to much, but I get more loops and tangles when I go over 1/8". So what do you consider a "full" spool ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

For me, it depends on the reel and type of line you're using. I tend to use reels that are friendly to braid, even if I'm spooling up with mono. 1/8" is a good rule of thumb. I'd rather underfill the spool than overfill it, as it saves the headache once you get on the water, less wind knots and loops.

BC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post
    For me, it depends on the reel and type of line you're using. I tend to use reels that are friendly to braid, even if I'm spooling up with mono. 1/8" is a good rule of thumb. I'd rather underfill the spool than overfill it, as it saves the headache once you get on the water, less wind knots and loops.

BC

Same here . I'd rather sacrifice some casting distance than get a bird's nest .

Post Thanks / Like

small diameter reels 1/8" larger spool reels 1'16"
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

It varies for depending on what kind of fishing I'm doing. I use premium reels that wrap the line tighter and cross wrap the line with an oscillating spool so I can wrap line closer to the lip and get longer casts with light gear. Once I get fresh respooled line settled in after a few casts I rarely have trouble with loops and birdnests. It may also be due to my casting technique. I enjoy having that little extra casting distance and have learned to work with a full spool.

If your strictly trolling or jigging there is no reason for it, but if you fish like I do, all casting, its fun to tune your gear for it and get everything out of your gear you can.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ View Post
    I use premium reels that wrap the line tighter and cross wrap the line with an oscillating spool so I can wrap line closer to the lip and get longer casts with light gear.
    I would not buy a spinning reel that didn't have this feature. It's well worth the extra investment.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally want my spool to be full...1/16th to the lip....after casting for awhile it settles out and usually is tighter ...and a few weeks from now ..after I've got snagged up, cleared off x amount of feet from fraying, changed rigs from slip bobber to casting jigs, etc., I won't be fretting over not getting distance from my casts because my line is now too low.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Backcountry View Post

BC
    This is the way i figure it too. This is especially true if you use the auto bail close on the reel. It almost always leaves a loose wrap unless you either pick up on the rod tip or pull the line a little on the reel.
    I never use the auto close on my cheap reels without doing one of those two things.
    Mike