Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock Shooting +

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock Shooting +

OK, I fish in a lake with very little cover. Well, pretty much no cover. I have been dock shooting now for over a year and have a very good turn out. I fish lake Jackson in Georgia.
    What I noticed about the docks I shoot under is that alot of them have large catfish and crappie lights mounted on the sides of the dock.
    Instead of going strait at the dock and start shooting, I backed off of the dock 15 or so feet and ran my jigs in front of the docks. Sure enough, about 4 out of 5 of those docks with the lights had all sorts of man made cover by them. I would fish the cover, then shoot the dock. I want to say I increased my numbers in crappie by 30% doing that.
    Hope that helps out. You can also save time by shooting the dock first and checking your sonar while in front of the dock to see if that dock is a HIT! Good luck!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Good observation, Randy ..

Quote Originally Posted by RandyGA View Post
    OK, I fish in a lake with very little cover. Well, pretty much no cover. I have been dock shooting now for over a year and have a very good turn out. I fish lake Jackson in Georgia.
    What I noticed about the docks I shoot under is that alot of them have large catfish and crappie lights mounted on the sides of the dock.
    Instead of going strait at the dock and start shooting, I backed off of the dock 15 or so feet and ran my jigs in front of the docks. Sure enough, about 4 out of 5 of those docks with the lights had all sorts of man made cover by them. I would fish the cover, then shoot the dock. I want to say I increased my numbers in crappie by 30% doing that.
    Hope that helps out. You can also save time by shooting the dock first and checking your sonar while in front of the dock to see if that dock is a HIT! Good luck!
    And sometimes ... the Crappie will be actually/literally out in front of the dock, and not under it, even if there is no cover out there. Almost like they're just hanging around, waiting to decide whether to go to the dock or not :D
    Also ... look for docks with pole holders mounted, minnow buckets hanging, and ropes or cables hanging off their sides ... usually the dock owner has brush piles within a decent casts distance from the pole holders, or has brush close by/under the dock (where they can drop a minner or jig over it).

Fishing your way to/under the dock is a excellent tip !! Thanks for posting it.

... cp

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Good observation, Randy ..

Quote Originally Posted by RandyGA View Post
    And sometimes ... the Crappie will be actually/literally out in front of the dock, and not under it, even if there is no cover out there. Almost like they're just hanging around, waiting to decide whether to go to the dock or not :D
    Also ... look for docks with pole holders mounted, minnow buckets hanging, and ropes or cables hanging off their sides ... usually the dock owner has brush piles within a decent casts distance from the pole holders, or has brush close by/under the dock (where they can drop a minner or jig over it).

And don't forget to shoot under any pontoon boats that are moored by the side of the dock, or in the dock slip

Fishing your way to/under the dock is a excellent tip !! Thanks for posting it.

... cp