Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 50 HP Johnson Power Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default 50 HP Johnson Power Problem

My 50 HP Johnson motor runs good in netural but want hardly pull the boat when in gear. It was doing it sparatically, now all the time. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no mechanic but my buddies boat was doing the same thing and it ended up being the power pack. It was only firing on one cylinder.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Need more info. Make sure it is firing on all cylinders. Does the motor rev up but the boat don't go? Is all your fuel lines soft and pliable? (the primer bulb is the first to go). Fresh fuel? Take it out and try it again. This time while you give it the gas have someone pump the primer bulb. If it acts like it wants to go, rebuild the fuel pump.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default The problem and it's fix was.....

Just a follow up to the original post I made on this subject; it turned out to be a bad gasket in one of the carbs. They were just resealed and the mechanic had messed one of them up. Second mechanic found it in about 30 minutes and got me going again.

Post Thanks / Like

glad you found it.....
    something to remember when it acts similar is a bad fuel line and/or bulb primer as mentioned previously.....if either your line or bulb get even the tiniest pinhole or crack.. it will suck air and run sloppy.....no power....Keep your eye on them and replace them at the slightest sign of cracks or stiffness...I like to carry a spare bulb in my boat....easy to fix on the water and not waste a trip.....

good fishin'
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER