Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: salamonie report

Post Thanks / Like

Default salamonie report

Hello, Went out yesterday afternoon for a couple hours but because of threatening weather just fished from the bank at 105 bridge. Caught 21 crappie on black/pink , black / chart tubes rigged in tandem . Most fish were very small. Caught one around a standing tree in a cove that was 12 inches and looked to be full of eggs . Oh well , maybe I can find em Saturday! Patrick , if you read this the answer to your previous post is a big loud YES!! I think I do need for you to show me where the big slabs are as it appears Im loosing my touch! LOL. Well it is a tough time of the year as the crappie are kinda between winter and spring mode but the fishing will only be better each day as that magical spawning time approaches. Good fishin to all........treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

Hey tree, If you get this tonight, I will be on the lake tommorow in a 17' sea nymph with my son and nephew. I will show you what I know.very little The boat color is tan, and I will put in at Dora/ Holland and fishing that end of the lake. see ya on the water. I will post tommorow night when I get in.

Post Thanks / Like

Default SAlamonie Report

Well it took a while to get going today. We finally found them in the first cove to the right headed towards the damn when you come off Dora ramp. Biggest about 11". Caught a blue million though and brought anything that was 8" or bigger home to eat. I just finished cleaning around 30. They will eat real nice in some JR mads fish breading. I am going up again tommorow without the kids this time. So I should be able to get on them as long as Randy, the guy I'm going with, keeps us in em'..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Vowell
    Well it took a while to get going today. We finally found them in the first cove to the right headed towards the damn when you come off Dora ramp. Biggest about 11". Caught a blue million though and brought anything that was 8" or bigger home to eat. I just finished cleaning around 30. They will eat real nice in some JR mads fish breading. I am going up again tommorow without the kids this time. So I should be able to get on them as long as Randy, the guy I'm going with, keeps us in em'..
    Hi Patrick, What time was you there? I got there at 5:45 am and fished till 2:00 pm. I spent most of the time in the same cove you were in and had the same results. I spider riggged all day with minnows and caught about 70 fish but only had 18 over 10 inches. Went out again this evening and fished the cove across from the beach but they were all small also. I fished till dark this evening and caught some pretty decent fish along the limestone wall straight out from pirates cove on the north side of the bank. Water is 30 ft deep and the crappie were so thick that they almost looked like a solid black band on my eagle 320 at 8-10 ft, the water temps yesterday were 52 -56 deg. and tonight I found some 60 deg. water. If these temps continue we'll be into the spawn before we know it. Most of them were very small but caught some really nice ones too , the biggest was 12 inches. Hope to get back out maybe wednesday evening. Good luck to ya....treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Treepotato and Patrick:

I went out on Blue Grass Sunday and took some temp measurements though the water column. I found a very sharp drop in temp right at the 10ft level. I mean the temps plummeted by several deg C at ten feet. The water at the surface down to about 9 ft was 19.5 deg C and then at ten feet it went down to about 16 deg C. That is quite a drop in temp when only going lower by one foot.

There is a definate thermocline formed already. I would not have suspected it to be there this time but I was wrong. It's there and it's very sharp and definded already.

I was wondering why all the fish were suspended in the top of the trees at about 10ft in 25 ft of water. Those trees come up off the bottom for about 15 ft and the crappie were suspended around the top of the trees. I know this as I could see them on my depth sounder screen and I was catching them at ten foot down over that 25ft deep water.

I am at 38.00.00 deg latitude and the crappie are now in 4 to 6ft of stained water and full of ripe eggs. I say that the females are getting ready to lay egges this week. Your spawn may or may not be a week or two later.

Sounds like you guys are still in prespawn mode on Salomonie Lake up further North from Evansville, IN.

Quote Originally Posted by treepotato
    Hi Patrick, What time was you there? I got there at 5:45 am and fished till 2:00 pm. I spent most of the time in the same cove you were in and had the same results. I spider riggged all day with minnows and caught about 70 fish but only had 18 over 10 inches. Went out again this evening and fished the cove across from the beach but they were all small also. I fished till dark this evening and caught some pretty decent fish along the limestone wall straight out from pirates cove on the north side of the bank. Water is 30 ft deep and the crappie were so thick that they almost looked like a solid black band on my eagle 320 at 8-10 ft, the water temps yesterday were 52 -56 deg. and tonight I found some 60 deg. water. If these temps continue we'll be into the spawn before we know it. Most of them were very small but caught some really nice ones too , the biggest was 12 inches. Hope to get back out maybe wednesday evening. Good luck to ya....treepotato
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Moose,
    We are still a ways from spawn. Alot of the crappie I cleaned had eggs in the early stages. Only a couple were more advanced. I did catch a couple of nicer females that had been gourding themselves on shad. All of the egg sacks were pretty small though. I suspect we are three or so weeks out from a strong push to the banks. They still have salamonie at winter pool, so that will be a huge factor as to when and how well the spawn will be, as far as how easy it will be to get the big ones consistently anyway.

Hey tree, what kind of boat was you in? I had two boys with me in a beat up tan sea nymph.

Post Thanks / Like

The dogwoods, redbud trees are blooming now. They just started blooming Friday last week and are really pretty now. Sat and Sun here in Southern IN was great. Nice warm sunny weather and the tulips have already dropped their pedals.

The crappie egg sacks are getting much bigger and the blood vessels supplying the egg sack are getting bigger and more visible. They red blood vessels really stand out against the bright yellow eggs. The eggs are much more developed. All the female crappie here are still full of eggs. Males White Crappie 5 to 6 dorsal spines are getting darker and are full of sperm sacks too. The little 8" long Female crappie are fatter than the dickens and even these small fish have lots more meat on the filets this time of the year. I am filling the freezer back up for this winter.

It's easy pickens right now. See the map that I posted on Otter Pit on the main board. It's only 90 acres in size and it's just one of the pits that the DRN put concrete boat ramps on the lake. I don't fish LOON pit but it should be much better as it's bigger and shallower than Otter Pit.

YOu guys are about 200 miles north and it should be a week or two more before the spawn line gets there. But that means you can find them stacked up in the prespawn areas and they still should have lots more meat on the fillets and they should be feeding well right now.

Water temps are in the upper 60's in the shallow spawning areas of this 90 acre lake. But Otter Pit has a lot more water in it as a lot of the pit is over 50 ft deep. In general it's got more water than it has surface area. The other pits are larger in surface area but they are not as deep as Otter Pit.

But I found a big thermocline on Otter Pit at 10ft deep over 30ft of water. The fish have all found it too as they were suspending above it last week. They must have all moved out of the prespawn areas (see map on other post) and moved up into the shallower waters of the lagon part of the pit. See map again.

oh heck here is the map right here

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Vowell
    Hey Moose,
    We are still a ways from spawn. Alot of the crappie I cleaned had eggs in the early stages. Only a couple were more advanced. I did catch a couple of nicer females that had been gourding themselves on shad. All of the egg sacks were pretty small though. I suspect we are three or so weeks out from a strong push to the banks. They still have salamonie at winter pool, so that will be a huge factor as to when and how well the spawn will be, as far as how easy it will be to get the big ones consistently anyway.

Hey tree, what kind of boat was you in? I had two boys with me in a beat up tan sea nymph.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy Randy Marsh fished salamonie sunday and caught 16 over 12" 's. They limited out with the smallest fish 9" on the nose. They said they caught alot of 10 and 11 inch fish. That is a change from the week before. They should be looking at shallows really hard after this cold front moves through. I say they will be all over the banks next week. Randy caught all of their fish in 24' of water fishing 10 to 12' deep. All in all they caught somewhere in the range of 150 to 175 total.