Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Water temperature question?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Water temperature question?

Does anybody have any really good suggestions on measuring water temperature from a really old boat? My uncle is trying to figure out the best way (and cheapest) to measure the water temp. accurately from his boat, but he doesn't want to buy anything expensive? Any suggestions or tips on where I could start looking? I'd like to get him hooked up for his B-day next week? Thanks....MM:confused
    "EVERY PRO WAS A ROOKIE ONCE!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there MM, The cheapest thing is do what I did. Go to Wal-Mart and buy the Minn-Kota Temperature Gauge for about 16 bucks.
    It will give you surface temp, air temp, and the time. Until I upgrade to a better graph this will work just fine for me.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Minnowman ....

Quote Originally Posted by minnowman View Post
    Does anybody have any really good suggestions on measuring water temperature from a really old boat? My uncle is trying to figure out the best way (and cheapest) to measure the water temp. accurately from his boat, but he doesn't want to buy anything expensive? Any suggestions or tips on where I could start looking? I'd like to get him hooked up for his B-day next week? Thanks....MM:confused
    If all he wants to know is surface temps ... a room thermometer on a string is as cheap as you can get :p (he might even appreciate this "old school" approach )
    If he wants temps at depth ... there's several options, and prices to match :D ... though I can't recommend any particular one.

You might Google up some ideas/choices. I found these :

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0036368018444a.shtml
    http://www.nu-temp.com/fish.htm
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...hing%20sensors

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Floating aquarium thermometer on a string will work.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an aquarium therm from walmart tied it to some mono and hotglued a swivel on the bottom for a weight so I could do bottom or top temp. I used it for several years.
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. :rolleyes: