Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Info on Minn Kota Copilot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Info on Minn Kota Copilot

Was wondering how you guys like the Copilot feature on Minn Kota trolling motors. I have a Power Drive 55 pound thrust and only have the foot control and its a real pain trying to troll with it especially in the wind. Thought I would get any positive or negative thoughts from those of you who use one of them before I decide on one. Thanks for the help, Billy

Post Thanks / Like

I've had my Co-pilot for 2 years now, and love it. No more cord to deal with and I can poerate the motor from anywhere in the boat. I don't think it will help you with the wind though, except that it's alot faster to just push the buttons rather than messing with the pedal.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been wondering about the copilot wireless also. Some told me they thought that the wireless would not allow the speed control to go very, very slow. Is that true. So, I guess, my question is how is the speed adjustment. Do you still have all the variability of the foot control slider? And it you touch the speed button on the remote, how fine of an adjustment can you get?

So, is the copilot wireless control suitable for crappie trolliing and super-slow trolling/spider rigging?

Any thing you don't like about it? I have been wanting one, but my wife will scream. The UPS man is already too familiar with my front porch. Should be 4 rod tubes and a box of goodies there when I get home today.

thanks for you input,

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

The copilot will give you more control over the motor speed than the foot pedal does. You get 25% more adjustment with it but top spead as well as slowest settings remein the same. It also gives you much better control in turning due to the smaller steps it will take with each press of the button. We have it on 4 boats and will never go back. Trolling or just holding into the wind is so much better with it and the autopilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Cholla Jigs
    The copilot will give you more control over the motor speed than the foot pedal does. You get 25% more adjustment with it but top spead as well as slowest settings remein the same. It also gives you much better control in turning due to the smaller steps it will take with each press of the button. We have it on 4 boats and will never go back. Trolling or just holding into the wind is so much better with it and the autopilot.
    I love my co-pilot but I will have to dissagree with the more speed control. The slide on the foot pedal gives you "variable speed" where the co-pilot gives you 9-10 speed options. I have never had a problem finding the right speed within this range. Up until I got the co-pilot I trolled with the foot pedal in my lap, now I hook the co-pilot on my pole holder.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

The problem I am having is that Im not to good using my foot on the pad so Im holding the foot pedal and using my hands to adjust speed and direction and with all that cord ....well its just messy to fool with. I think a copilot will help. Thanks for the feedback Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    The problem I am having is that Im not to good using my foot on the pad so Im holding the foot pedal and using my hands to adjust speed and direction and with all that cord ....well its just messy to fool with. I think a copilot will help. Thanks for the feedback Billy
    That is what I used to do before I got the co-pilot. It has pretty much been the remedy. Just remember to strap it to something so it does not fall out of the boat. Works great for winter time because I can keep my hands in my pocket and still steer and change speeds.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callshy
    I love my co-pilot but I will have to dissagree with the more speed control. The slide on the foot pedal gives you "variable speed" where the co-pilot gives you 9-10 speed options. I have never had a problem finding the right speed within this range. Up until I got the co-pilot I trolled with the foot pedal in my lap, now I hook the co-pilot on my pole holder.
    I have heard the same thing about the speed control....there are certain increments that you can get to, but the slider bar will allow you to reach any increment you need....whereas the co-pilot does not.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>