Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dock Shooter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dock Shooter

Looking to buy a good dock shooting rod... Any sugestion?
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

Post Thanks / Like

Ive searched and searched and keep coming back to a 4'6 shakespear microlite from Walmart. Can be had for $16. Some like the B&M sharpshooters but to me, they dont have enough backbone, although ever never felt one without a the info paper stapled around it, so that weight may make it feel flemsier. Cant beat the microlite for the money. I had considered all the way from that, up to an Allstar and St Croix, but came back to the microlite not for the price, but just because it fit the bill.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a 5' Microlite for a few years and it's been a good rod. I haven't done any dock-shooting with it but they are sensitive and have enough to swing a big'n on board.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-22-2008 at 02:38 AM.
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

Post Thanks / Like

Default shooter

I am going to OK in April and they told me to bring a shooter in case they havn't made shore yet. I haven't tried one... just seen the video. It's all gonna be interesting. What reel do you want to match up with it?
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

Post Thanks / Like

I'm personally not too picky about reels for crappie fishing. Mitchells are good and affordable.
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation PieEye ....

You just want to match the reel to the rod you choose. Shooting docks doesn't require great distances of line ... 20-30ft shots are "long range" distances, and 10-20ft shots are usually adequate to get to the fish.
    Usually, any 5-6ft med action to lite action rod will work ... UL reels to 1000 series reels (matched/balanced with rod) are fine ... soft/limp hi-vis lines in 4-6lb test are a good choice, to round out the outfit.
    If you've never tried dock shooting, you're in for a treat :p ... but, I'd put in a little practice time, before attempting it for real. Boat positioning is the biggest key to success, followed closely by accuracy (depending on how much distance there is between water's surface and dock).
    Here's some helpful info that I posted, on "how to" shoot a jig : (see my reply titled "Stewart") --- http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ting+slingshot

Also, check out my Vertical Casting article .... it may come in handy : http://www.crappiestuff.com/vertical_casting.html It's a good "followup" method to dock shooting, that can help put a few more fish in the boat. That's not its only use scenario, but it is a productive method when following behind a casting or shooting method that has started to produce fewer fish. Vertical/horizontal trees, deep brush piles, bridge pilons, & dock posts are also favorable cover to use the Vertical Casting technique around.

... luck2ya
    ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

BnM makes a good dock shooting rod. check them out www.bnmpoles.com
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

CP thank youfor reposting. That was 2 good articles to read.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    You just want to match the reel to the rod you choose. Shooting docks doesn't require great distances of line ... 20-30ft shots are "long range" distances, and 10-20ft shots are usually adequate to get to the fish.
    Usually, any 5-6ft med action to lite action rod will work ... UL reels to 1000 series reels (matched/balanced with rod) are fine ... soft/limp hi-vis lines in 4-6lb test are a good choice, to round out the outfit.
    If you've never tried dock shooting, you're in for a treat :p ... but, I'd put in a little practice time, before attempting it for real. Boat positioning is the biggest key to success, followed closely by accuracy (depending on how much distance there is between water's surface and dock).
    Here's some helpful info that I posted, on "how to" shoot a jig : (see my reply titled "Stewart") --- http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ting+slingshot

Also, check out my Vertical Casting article .... it may come in handy : http://www.crappiestuff.com/vertical_casting.html It's a good "followup" method to dock shooting, that can help put a few more fish in the boat. That's not its only use scenario, but it is a productive method when following behind a casting or shooting method that has started to produce fewer fish. Vertical/horizontal trees, deep brush piles, bridge pilons, & dock posts are also favorable cover to use the Vertical Casting technique around.

... luck2ya
    ... cp
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

Yupp..., Thanks CP{..
    PieEye