Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drop Shot For Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop Shot For Crappie

Read an article in Crappie World about drop shot rigs for crappie and I tried tying a drop shot rig like the article said and the hook will not stand out like it is suppose to. Anyone know how to tie a drop shot without cutting the main line? I would like to tie two regular hooks with maribou so they stand out and then the sinker. Thanks !!
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

Default drop shot.

Easiest way is to use the stand out hooks. Another easy way is to tie loop knots like in the Wally Marshall video. I am sure another poster can guide you to it on YOUTUBE.
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Using the drop-shot setup ...

Quote Originally Posted by ifish View Post
    Read an article in Crappie World about drop shot rigs for crappie and I tried tying a drop shot rig like the article said and the hook will not stand out like it is suppose to. Anyone know how to tie a drop shot without cutting the main line? I would like to tie two regular hooks with maribou so they stand out and then the sinker. Thanks !!
    with regular hooks, requires using a knot that will make the hook stand out horizontal to the line, with the hook point up. PieEye is correct, using the "Stand-out" hooks would be much easier. But, if you want to use your standard hooks, here's a portion of an article that explains how :

"Start by tying on the hook using either a Palomar or Clinch knot. Leave the tag end the length you want the bait to be off the bottom. Start at 16 to 20 inches up the line unless you see fish suspended a certain distance off the bottom. If you do, tie the hook that distance up the line.

When you tie the hook on, bring the tag end back through the eye of the hook from the top down, that will make the hook stand out straight. Make sure you pull your knot tight when tying it."

... cp

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    with regular hooks, requires using a knot that will make the hook stand out horizontal to the line, .......When you tie the hook on, bring the tag end back through the eye of the hook from the top down, that will make the hook stand out straight. Make sure you pull your knot tight when tying it."
    ... cp

I have done this with regular #6 hooks. The key for me was the Palomar knot and then bringing that bottom tag end back through the eye. Add your egg sinker to the bottom of the tag end. MAKE SURE THE HOOK IS POINTING UP!! I good distance for me has been about 30 inches off the bottom.

Here is a DROP SHOT VIDEOhttp://hobbies.expertvillage.com/vid...ot-rigging.htm
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 03-22-2008 at 07:38 AM.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.