Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a "how to" question

Post Thanks / Like

Default a "how to" question

i just bought a crappie kit from basspro shop. it has tons of little creature to fish with but i'm not sure how to use half of the stuff in the kit.

it has little tiny crawfish, frogs, tubes, and grubs.

i have been using the marabou tail jigs to troll with and i have used the little plastic tubes on a jig head under a bobber.

how do i use the crawfish and frog? do i put them under a bobber like the little tubes? and while i'm thinking of it, how do you guys use the little tubes? like i said, i always put them under a bobber, i just cast them out and let them sit there. i haven't caught many fish at all doing that.

any help on this one guys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    i just cast them out and let them sit there. i haven't caught many fish at all doing that.
    You won't. You gotta keep 'em moving. Cast it out, count it down to the desired depth, and reel it back slow and steady.

Post Thanks / Like

Alrighty then.....

Here is what ya do. Throw all those little creature thing-a-ma-bobs away. You do not need them. 99.9% of the time you are going to catch them on either tubes, hair or curly tail jigs. I have used and do use the Panfish assassins. But I have never really had luck with all those creature type lures. Don't sweat trying to figure every bait out. I would start by using either a tube or hair/maraboo jig and learn how to make it "work" for you. I cast the jig out and count it down to a certain depth and either let it fall back to me or SLOWLY reel it back. You can also postion yourself over the structure and vertical cast (let the jig fall down to the bottom and reel it back up VERY VERY SLOWLY). After you get the hang of it, you can start experimenting on days that they are not "on".

Fred out
    Last edited by Fred in Ky; 03-21-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

ok, it sounds like i can put my bobbers away. i don't really need them for depth control.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    ok, it sounds like i can put my bobbers away. i don't really need them for depth control.
    Don't do that just yet. This time of the year the crappie are moving shallow and a bobber is a great way to keep your jig in the strike zone when fishing shallow water. Reel it in a few feet, let it sit for a second, then repeat. I also have not had any luck with the creature type jigs. I use curly tails and solid body marabou jigs.

I've only caught two 2lbers but this jig caught one of them.

I also throw a lot of roadrunners.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Keep that bobber set up and add a live minnow onto the tube jig hook. The minnow will provide the action to the jig by swimming back and forth.
    Wichita

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
    Keep that bobber set up and add a live minnow onto the tube jig hook. The minnow will provide the action to the jig by swimming back and forth.

i tried minnows yesterday and i couldn't keep them alive after i hooked them. i was hooking them just forward of the tail and high of centerline of the minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah it just depends on how you like to fish some troll and some do not like me. i always use a slip bobber myself so i can maintain my depth everytime or if i have to change it i can just slide it to the newer depth without any confusion. like what was said tubes pretty much get them everytime that is all i use and i never go home disappointed. and i used to use a tube and minnow combo. it does not hurt. it is all in how you want to fish

good luck

S.M>
    brushpiles and logs, one rod, one bobber, it's jig poppin time:D

Post Thanks / Like

also like tapout said reel the line it. you need action in order for the crappie to bite. you cannot just let the tube sit there. maybe on a windy day where the water is choppy and gives the jig action is one thing other than that the other times is on your side of the bobber. i like to pop the line as if i were using a popper for bass fishing. but i always keep an eye on how much line i am pulling through the slip bobber so i know what depth my action is. and remember crappie always feed up so they hit the jig on the fall

hope that helps you

S.M.
    brushpiles and logs, one rod, one bobber, it's jig poppin time:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlabMaster85 View Post
    also like tapout said reel the line it. you need action in order for the crappie to bite. you cannot just let the tube sit there. maybe on a windy day where the water is choppy and gives the jig action is one thing other than that the other times is on your side of the bobber. i like to pop the line as if i were using a popper for bass fishing. but i always keep an eye on how much line i am pulling through the slip bobber so i know what depth my action is. and remember crappie always feed up so they hit the jig on the fall

hope that helps you

S.M.

do you have a picture of the bobber that your using? i'm unsure what a slip bobber is:o i've been using the bobbers with the little metal clips on top and bottom so that you can adjust it, is that the same thing that your using?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast