Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Question

Lar Guest

Default Line Question

What line works best on the small spinning reels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default line size

The line depends on where and how you fish. If you are fishing open water #4 line will work. If you are fishing in structure you will need heavier line. I use #4 and #6 on my micro spinning reels. I use only #4 when I am in open water over tree piles or stumps. If I am fishing vegetation I will go to #6 to pull them out of the cover. If I am fishing heavy timber then I go to a heavier reel. Depending on the thickness of the cover I will go to a braided line, so I can pull decent size fish out of the cover. You just have to use your own judgement in different situations. Always use the lightest line you can get away with. Hope this helps.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Buy yourself a spool of the Powerpro 10 lb test/2lb diameter. Cant go wrong with this stuff will haul any fish out of heavy cover. You can pick it up at Walmart, BPS, Cabelas, or any local tackle shop.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

tightliner47 Guest

agrees with TAE73. I also use Stren Superbraid in 15 - 30 lb range. Much smaller diameter than mono and strong enough to straighten hooks instead of losing tackle. It doesn't cast as well as mono but long casts aren't that necessary crappie fishing.

Good luck guys. Should be very very good soon.

Post Thanks / Like

i also agree with ted. takes a little longer to tie on but its worth it. go with powerpro.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

"Structure" doesn't really make much difference as far as what line you use. "COVER" is where you want to use the stronger stuff. I will straighten out a hook before I spend time re-rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

Default line size

What size reel are you putting that line on? I tried the Berkley fire Line #6 on my Shimono AXUL5 and it tore the gears out of them. I only use the braided line an my Shimono TX1000 or 2000 reels.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

What's the problem with retying hooks? It just means you didn't disturb the brushpile. I use 4 and 6 pound mono for crappie, expect to break off 15-30 times a day, and I don't disturb the brush pile by pulling on it. My two cents, a buck or two cost and avoid damaging the habitat! Probably why i use a 1000 hooks a year.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Mr. Crappie yellow line...I can see it MUCH better when I'm watching it fall. So far the bright line hasn't bothered the fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Default hooks

why use a 1000 hooks? Lar, try the power pro its awsome stuff and you wont leave your LEAD heads in the water (talk about the habitat). A person might need that 10lb line for rippin that limit of 1 pounders outa twain this year.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast