Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Chickahominy Reservoir question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chickahominy Reservoir question

I recently added a 9.9 four stroke engine for my 14 foot jon boat to be able to fish places like Smith Mountain, Kerr, and Chickahominy. I used to fish Chickahominy River 15 years ago, but have never fished the Reservoir very much. I hear the mouths of Johnson and Lacy Creeks are good for crappie. Can anyone give me some hints on where to start looking for crappie in the Reservoir?
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never been there, but sure will be curious to know how you do. I make it to Kerr several times a year. Love that lake!!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I made it out Tuesday afternoon for a couple of hours. I was mainly testing the boat to make sure I retain bottom lock with the depth finder while on plane. I just about have everything set.

I did take some time to wet a line. I fished around the mouth of Johnson and Lacy creeks just overtop the hydrilla and caught one nice bluegill, two crappie (one was big enough to keep), and one yellow perch that was just short of citation. I also moved across the lake to some lilly pads with cypress trees nearby and caught one chain pickerel. It was about 18" long. I did not get a change to measure it as it sawed off my four pound test just before I got ready to net it.

Now that I'm happy with the boat set-up after the addition of the gas engine, I plan to take a day or two and do some scouting at Kerr. I will hunt for brush piles in 10-20 feet of water around Rudds and Butchers creeks.
    Keith

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudds is suppose to have several places that is good. I've never taken time to look for them. We have always done outstanding in Buffalo creek but thats in the spring. I keep forgetting to take my GPS to mark spots so I can share them with others. Also, the message board at http://www.kerrlake.info/fishing/INDEX.HTM is a good souce of info.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. I've been keeping an eye on that website and the message board for quite some time now. I'm looking forward to fishing Kerr.
    Keith