Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: saugeye patterns

Post Thanks / Like

Default saugeye patterns

I'm having a difficult time seeing the big picture with saugeyes, and hoped you all might be able to help or direct me to some good help.

Last year was my first year ever fishing for them, and I had quite a bit of success at the river pond below Tuttle Creek. I guess a lot of them got flushed from the lake and ended up down in the river pond.

I've tried fishing for them in other places using the same techniques I used in the river pond, but with little or no success. I don't really know where to look for them in other lakes, like Council Grove and Lake Wabaunsee, where there should be a good population.

So... Where do saugeyes go during different seasons of the year? Do they pretend to spawn? I went to CG today and checked around the dam, some rocky points, and long rock banks and didn't find anything. I guess I just don't understand the big picture. I guess they'll probably be up shallow in the river pond in a month, but I don't really know why, or where they will go once the weather gets hotter. I guess if I knew generally where they go throughout the year, I could come up with a better game plan.

If anybody is a big saugeye buff, I sure would like to pick your brain. Sorry about the lengthy post, but I'm hungry for a walleye dinner. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Fish Taxi; 03-20-2008 at 03:54 AM.
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite sure as I've never really fished for them before. I woud think for the most part that they would about act like a walleye does. Usually shallow in the springtime and summer usually find them in deeper water around river channels, rock dropoffs, that kind of environment you hear walleye fisherman talk about all the time? Like I say, I've never fished for them, or even caught one before, but that would be my best guess.

Post Thanks / Like

wait acouple of weeks after they go through their spawn routine then they will start gorging .fish windblown points, drift crawlers or troll crankbaits. drift .7 mph troll about 1.2-1.7mph you can speed up a little as it gets warmer . early and late is best.lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Thanks guys, that should be helpful. I tried to use walleye techniques on them last Summer and Fall a few times, but I gave up on them. I kept looking for them on deep humps and dropoffs, but found suspended crappies instead. Being the opportunistic guy I am, I fished for the crappie instead.
    (If anybody is interested in trolling techniques for suspended crappies, I've got some practical experience there)
    I heard saugeyes don't go as deep as pure walleyes. Maybe that's where I went wrong last summer and fall...

Crop E Man, roughly what water temperature will signal the end of the spawn and the beginning of the feeding frenzy? Thanks again.
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D