Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red line, red hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Question Red line, red hooks

I am fairly new to this site and have enjoyed reading and learning for sometime. I have a question that I knew some of yall could answer. I have seen ads stating that red line disappears underwater. I have read articles where people are switching to red hooks to stimulate more bites. My question is this, Can fish see red hooks underwater but not red line? Just wondering what you all think. I hope this hasn't already been discussed before. I am asking because I thought of switching to red hooks but if the fish can't see them I don't think that switching is going to make any difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get anymore bites when using red hooks .

Post Thanks / Like

Great question!

I use red hook jigs. Supposedly, when you add that little bit of red accent, particularly with a lighter or brighter color, the glimpses of red make fish think they're either seeing blood or gills of feeding baitfish. It's supposed to be added enticement to bite. I can't say for sure if it's improved my catch, but it hasn't hurt it. I buy mine at BPS with unpainted heads and red hooks.

As for red line being invisible, it's not. However, what makes it red is reflecting the red wavelength of light, which is a short wavelength. In theory, it should be visible for shorter distances than some other colors. Infrared then red penetrate water the shortest distance, where violet then ultra-violet penetrate the water furthest. The deeper you fish, the less red light reaches the line and is reflected, I'd imagine at some depth the line would look gray or black due to the lack of red light to reflect. For what it's worth, the diameter of today's line is small enough that unless you're fishing gin-clear water, or the fish are already spooky, chances are that line color won't make much difference in your catch. If you like red line, especially if it's a color you see real well so you can see those little thumps, use it. If you find it hurts your catch, tie on a couple feet of fluorocarbon as a leader. Fluorocarbon IS almost completely invisible underwater.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen any differance, but most of the water i've been fishing has been muddy
    Dave

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember when the "Bleeding Bait" hooks came out. They were meant to stimulate a fish's desire to attack blood. Their first slogans were "red is the color of blood."

Having said that, I don't see a really big difference between using the red hook verses the bronze or gold hook as far as my own catch rates. I do have something red or pink on 90% of the crappie lures that I personally fish. This could easily be done with Marabou IMHO. Crappie love color.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink The "red" concept ....

Quote Originally Posted by LipJerker View Post
    I am fairly new to this site and have enjoyed reading and learning for sometime. I have a question that I knew some of yall could answer. I have seen ads stating that red line disappears underwater. I have read articles where people are switching to red hooks to stimulate more bites. My question is this, Can fish see red hooks underwater but not red line? Just wondering what you all think. I hope this hasn't already been discussed before. I am asking because I thought of switching to red hooks but if the fish can't see them I don't think that switching is going to make any difference.
    Red hooks - hooks are solid, so the red paint will reflect the red light, and be seen by fish as red. (to a certain point/depth)
    Red line - line is transluscent, so light can penetrate it. It gives off a red color reflection, until the incoming light isn't strong enough to reflect the red coloration. At that point it would become non-reflective, and appear black ... which, in the black/dark background of the water depths, it would blend in with the darkness (lack of light penetration). That's the "concept", anyway ... and why it's advertised as "disappearing" or becoming "invisible" after a certain depth. That "depth" would really depend on water clarity, and light intensity, though.

I've used red hooks, but can't really tell any increase in productivity, because of them. My bronze hook & gold hook jigs seem to produce on an equal basis, and my red hook jigs don't fare to any greater degree .... to the point where I seldom pay all that much attention to hook color, and choose my jigheads more by weight & hook "size".

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I read in "in Fisherman" that red line turns gray in water and red really makes no differents.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen any difference in hook colors. I kind of think it's just a marketing thing; lots of fishermen will try anything new that comes out. just a thought...
    "Mister, I love the way you wear that hat."
    "You don't know nothin'."

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if red makes the difference but it seems to help my catching it is all i use now
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

i dont know if red line or red hooks make a difference. but i have done several tests using red headed jigs vs. other colors. red has beat all other 2 to 1 or more in every test i have done. this is using identical rods , reels , line , same color body and tail jigs. only factor that was different was the head color. in one test i caught crappie 10 casts in a row on the red head . changed colors, made 10 casts with a chartreuese head. caught 2 fish. changed to a white head made 10 casts caught 1 fish. i changed back to the red haed and caught 10 more crappie on 10 casts.thats 20 of 23 fish on 40 casts. i have done similar tests several times . the red head wins every time. the only time i dont use a red headed jig now is if someone is just blistering me on another color.which hasnt happened but 1 time in the last 5 or6 years. not to say that i havent been beaten . but when i have been beaten it has been on my red headed jigs. so i use red headed jigs almost all the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast