Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to the board... also a few ?'s about Green River Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to the board... also a few ?'s about Green River Lake

Hi all, new to the board and fairly new to Kentucky; been living in central KY for a little over a year. I'm from MO originally, and have finally got my boat here now. I've been reading a bunch of posts lately and everybody seems like great guys.

I was just wondering about Green River Lake. I'm sure that's where I'll be fishing most often, from my driveway to the state park marina's twenty-five miles even. I don't expect anybody to give away any secrets, but I was just looking for some advise about any general areas with good crappie fishing. Also any jig/lure suggestions or colors would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure some of my 'ol Missouri crappie fishing tricks will work, but a little headstart won't hurt.

Thanks for any help and great to be aboard.

Tight Lines,

CA

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Hey C A ...

Green River Lake is a beautiful lake ... and you're lucky to live so close (it's a 2hr drive for me ...LOL!)

The Crappie are generally pretty cyclic on GRL ... couple of years of small fish, then "BAM" - Slabs out the wazoo :D
    I haven't fished GRL in a few years ... but, the areas I've done the best in are around the island (on the marina side) - the "beach" area of the campground - the "flats" off the end of the campground.
    Mostly I've trolled a 1/32-1/16oz Chartreuse Roadrunner on the beach & flats ... and cast it (or tube jigs) to the bank cover on the other (marina) side of the island.
    I believe the "marina" is called Emerald Isle Marina - and the "campground" is the GRL State Park (Lone Valley Ramp). The "island" doesn't have a listed name ... but the "cut thru" is straight across from the State Park.
    Get yourself a Fishing HotSpots map of the lake - it will be a big help to you, in finding these spots (and those you'll find on your own). ....luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info; I picked up a map at wally world the other day. I may go try it out tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

CA,
    I've fished Green River Lake quite a few times, mostly for Musky. I fish primarily through the winter months there because they don't draw the lake down as much as some others. At that time of year the only other fisherman on the lake are fishing for crappie. I've heard the crappie fishing there is good. Watch out for the muskies, I have a 49 1'/2 inch 39lb fish on my wall I caught from there. You'll like the lake, there are a lot of wooded coves perfect for crappie fishing. I usually fished the lower end of the lake at Holmes Bend. Good luck!