Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: shallow/deep cold water

Post Thanks / Like

Default shallow/deep cold water

Here in Ohio the water temps are 40-degree and some ice has just come off. My question is where is the best area to start the first trip of the year? I hear there shallow after ice out, then I hear there always some deep. I was just wanting a general starting location and maybe what's worked for you in this cold water. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Northern water inlets, but i could be wrong
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Bump
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Nightprowler, I have asked the same question on here this year. This is a tough start to the year on Crappie in Indiana. I caught a few fish earlier this year in the tailwaters (stream). The only Crappie I have found on the lake this year was not from a boat. I went to the marina last Friday and fished from the docks using my ice fishing gear. Small ice fishing jigs 1/32 & 1/64 tipped with minnows and bee moth. Be sure to fish the pilings if you try this. Don't just drop under the docks. I fished next to the pilings that anchor the docks (they go all the way to the bottom). I was in 10' of water fishing about 5' deep. Caught 35-40 with 14 really nice ones 10"+. Went back Saturday and caught 3 total and NO KEEPERS. I am itching to get the boat out and find some Crappie, but I have not heard good things from some of the most serious Crappie fisherman in my area. Last year according to my log book, I caught 9 limits by this time. I know the fish are there, but man are they tough to find.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

Papermouth, you said you were using ice jigs tipped with a minnow, do you put a tail on the jig as well or just a jig head and a minnow.- Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Try shallow coves and deeper water adjacent to them.