Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great day on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great day on the water!

Finally had one of those days we all dream about that only comes around a time or two every couple years...round here anyway.!

Caught these off the Amite River in South Louisiana. GGGGGRRRREEEAAATTT to see post Katrina waterways still have fish like these!

This was my HALF of the fish caught! We only keep them over 10" (self imposed, our state has NO min limit!). Must have thrown back 40 under the 10" mark and still had 53 Keepers! Called mom, dad, unc, aunt, brother, and ate like kings that night!:D

Fish bit from daylight to 1PM and left them biting. As you can see from my daughters hair, the wind was BLOWING by then and fishing was no longer an option. Caught em all up shallow next to cypress trees. 90% males. Not many over 1.5lb, but a couple were.

Great day! Thank ya Lord!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

kman, that a very good day, if you ask me. Glad you hit um. Go back this coming weekend and the females should be ready to get on the bank also. That could mean an even better trip. Thanks for the report and pic. You're right about post Katrina, we suffered serious water problems for our fisheries from Rita, which flooded all of our fishing areas with salt water. I live southwest of New Orleans. We are lucky to be catching anything, but thank God its coming along slowly.
    From the bayou,
    PawPaw "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like yall did have a great day. Thanks for sharing. Hope yall get into them again soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a great day. Thanks for sharing the pic with us.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a nice catch Kman. I hope it stays that way all year for ya.

CX.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas!

Paw Paw, let me bounce this off of ya. This little bayou that drains into another relatively small bayou (but large enough to run a big boat in ) eventually drains into the Amite river. Ok. The banks of this smallest bayou or "slough" even, are not sharp and deep, they are kinda flat and have swamp on both sides. This area is obviously a bottom land flood plain that collects all the water from the rain in that area and gets it to the river right?

So, what I am experiencing is water level fluctuation. SEVERE! I went back on the very next morning to whack em again and the water was 12" lower than I caught them the day before! Tress that only had 12" of water now were exposed or close to it. We caught 15 fish and only had 4 keepers! I tried backing off to the nearest drop (which is relative because the depth at the center of the bayou was only 5 ft) but even when I got to 2ft or so, nothing. The only place I got a bite was the FEW trees that were in deep water and had remaining water, even on this day. Today (3 days later), the water is back up again. No rain has taken place.

Two questions. One, how do I find out what exactly controls this waterway's levels? And Two, why would these crappie be apparently spawning in an area that would go dry quick like that? I didn't think their instincts would allow that. Maybe a third question, where do they go that fast? (overnight) The canal is more than a mile long and I even fished the banks of the bayou that IT fed into with no results.

Anyone got any thoughts or experince with a waterway similar to this one?

Sorry for the length.

Post Thanks / Like

cannot wait for this weekend myself..hopefully it will stay decent out!
    brushpiles and logs, one rod, one bobber, it's jig poppin time:D

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go,great catch!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the adventure, looks like your fishing partner had a good time
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

Man I wish she would have been there but unfortunately it was a Friday and she was in school. She's a little young to go just yet for that type of fishing anyway. The boat is a small 12 ft pond boat with a trolling motor and it scares me when she moves around. Wont be long though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast