Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gated Canals

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gated Canals

What would you do if access to your favorite waterway was gated off? Well, it has been happening in S. Louisiana for years. We elected our 1st female governor who ran as the sportsmans friend. Turns out she is the sportsman's friend just as John Kerry, even posing as a duck hunter. CCA refuses to assist us with many of its members deserting its ranks until CCA said they would ask the governor to appoint still another committee. An example of this occured during a Bassmasters tournament by harassing the fishermen with airboats and firing a shotgun. This could happen to anyone here. I have written to all members of our legislator and recievied about 6 positive replies. As they say
    "La has the best politicans money can buy," thanks beaux
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/attach...tid=1253&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

We use to have some great fishing areas here that have been gated off or restructured for duck hunters. It has ruined some very good fishing. I have nothing against you duck hunters, but I think they should take into consideration that there are many areas that are not used by fisherman that would make for great duck hunting. They shouldnt destroy one to help another.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant see how they can block you from fishing. They dont own the water, yes they might own the land underneath. But in Missouri we had a simular problem with land owners and streams flowing through. This went as far to the Missouri supreme court. Courts ruled if it was navigiatble then it was public water. You must enter the water at a public access and take out. But you could float down in canoe through private property just where not allowed to leave the confinds of the water. If I lived down there, there would be a few missing gates or fences being removed by some tnt. Sorry to hear about this, just thinking about it while writing this really burns butt. If someone had the money and time I would challenge this in court. To bad you could buy the land just before getting to there place and close it off to duck hunters so they couldnt access there places.
    Last edited by TAE73; 04-06-2005 at 02:53 PM.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Fellas we've tried, believe me. You can't fight big money. It was written "Whoever controls the food, controls the people." They have just about gotten rid of the commercial fishermen, trappers, and as it appears the shrimpers are not far behind. Everytime a bill concerning this issue is brought up it is rejected because of pressure from above. What gets me is that billions of our tax dollars are being used to protct these same areas. They passed a law a couple of years ago that they don't even have to post an area anymore, your supposed to know where you are at. beaux

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go as far as contacting Fish and Wildlife or even the Corps of Engineers about public waterways , I do know each State is different in it's defintion of Navigatable waterways , but I also believe there's Federal Guidelines when it comes to waterways that are considered "commercial " transit routes ...ect ect .
    I duck hunt , but I fish too .... we're all Sportsmen/women ..... but I'd fight it tooth and nail if the gatebuilders were in the wrong .

Depending how close you are to the coast , you may even contact the US Coast Guard !!
    Jim McIntyre
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

That stuff is happening here in washington to. People have been blocking the roads to some the the lakes when they have no right to do so. But on some of thoes people have put up gates and all you have to do is call up the sheriff and he will come up and cut the lock for ya. some people are just jerks.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default sheriff

Quote Originally Posted by Kokanee King
    That stuff is happening here in washington to. People have been blocking the roads to some the the lakes when they have no right to do so. But on some of thoes people have put up gates and all you have to do is call up the sheriff and he will come up and cut the lock for ya. some people are just jerks.
    the sheriff in our parish has one of the camps that goes with the officeand some dupities and game wardens work part-time for the land owners. Its complicated here and they have very deep pockets and they covered all the bases. If someone gets close they usually buy them off but its all hidden. There are just so many places tp fish here that we go somewhere else but those are being overfished for theis reason. But the state and fed constution says its illegal

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Burn that little shack next to the gate late one night after a few beers. Actually I'm surprised someone hasn't done that yet! You could probably light that marsh grass on fire when the wind is right too...Nevermind I don't want you to go to jail and not get to crappie fish at all.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

you can catch just about any kind of fish U want where that gate is,fresh or salt, and yes many have been torn down, some by tugs, or so I hear

Post Thanks / Like

Thats bad Beaux. I live near the Mississippi River in Arkansas. There are many oxbow lakes in this area. My problem is every year I pay levee taxes. When I was a kid the levees were open to ride on. Today several miles of the levee is gated off by farmers who lease the levee for cattle grazing areas.And I help pay to maintain the levee. I just don't think it is right. I got a few years older...I know i'm in the wrong...sometimes a young little calf would come up missing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast