Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorguide bow mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motorguide bow mounts

Hey guys, seems like Crappie.com members lean to the Minn Kota side of things. I have a buddy who needs a motor for a boat he shares with his dad, and his dad won't put a Minn Kota on the boat, and is looking at the Motorguides. It seems there were a lot of threads on the old forums about breaking motorguide bow mounts. Any info on this? The one he is looking at has a Tour Gator Spring XL 24 mount.

Which Minn Kota mounts are breaking up so bad?
    I don't want him to make a $1000 mistake.

As I'm shopping and comparing motors for MY boat, I'm comparing a Minn Kota Maxxum 70 with a MotorGuide Tour Series Digital with a Gator Breakaway 20.8 mount. I'm going with the Minn Kota in part because my smaller boat has a Minn Kota and I'm thinking I don't want to have to learn how to use two different foot pedals as I go back and forth between the boats. Minn Kota is cheaper too.

Post Thanks / Like

the reson they break is operator error.. 90 percent of the broken ones are because they fire up the big engine and take off with trolling motor still in the water.. i have had 0 issues with gator spring mounts or motor guide for that matter

Post Thanks / Like

Default its motorguide or bust

i love my motorguide. i have had several in my life time ( i have 5 right now) . my fishing partner just got his first minnkota. he says he likes it. everytime i get up front to use it i tell him to take it off throw it in the lake and get himself a real trolling motor. he says after awhile you get used to it. i tell him i think i would rather paddle.lol i guess they are ok if you cant get a motorguide. i was getting ready to buy a new ranger boat and the dealer said it came packaged with minnkota and he would not change it.i called ranger boats. the said that most of there boats come prepackaged now. that if i wanted a ranger i would have to have a minnkota on it. i told her i would rather buy a used flat bottom at trade day and put a motorguide from academy on it before i would have a minnkota. you know what that means dont you? i dont like minnkota's. so i guess my next boat will have one on it.lol it really probably doesnt matter as long as you are happy with what you use.

Post Thanks / Like

No problems so far on my Motor Guide!
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

I Too use a MotorGuide with no problems or complaints!! I give it a workout being a Guide!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Motorguide on the front of my boat, no problems here.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I have had both and they both are alright with me. Like john said most of the breaks come from people mistreating them.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got motorguides on two boats and one of them gets fished at least five days a week in some tough conditions and they have never failed me yet.

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing but M G on the front and merc on back. My rig is 22 years old and have had only 2 M G t-mtrs. My current motor is only three years old and only replaced props and speed switch on the footcontrol 2 or 3 times on the 727 I had .
    I practice catch and release..... in hot grease!!!!

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got Motorguides front and rear, no complaints. I figure when the pros use Minn Kota I'll give it a look.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast