Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Humminbird needs lessons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Humminbird needs lessons

I enjoy my 997 unit and it has helped me catch more fish. I now need to tell humminbird that they need lessons in GPS from Garmin. I feel that garmin has humminbirds GPS beat hands down. I have never seen such a pain in the arse to manage waypoints like humminbird wants you to do it. You also cannot navigate the cursor by the pad without frustration because everytime you get close to a waypoint it wants to stop for a split second. The boat is too big on the Humminbird GPS and the waypoint icon is too large also. Garmin is so much easier and more user friendly.
    The 20 degree sonar image from Humminbird is terrible in my opinion. It has to be one the worst sonars on the market. Lowrance definitely stands above the competition in this area. I even think that my 240 garmin 20 degree sonar is better than my 997 humminbird.
    It is a good thing that humminbird has the only side image available. It definitely shows you what is on the bottom in great detail. The side image is wonderful. It is a good thing that I bought my 997 for the side image because the sonar and the GPS from humminbird need drastic improvement in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Cry baby LOL I will take it off your hands.
    Also will try to cal you tomorrow. I have a question. And I know you have the answer.
    I am with you give us options on how to use the GPS. I also hate the ideal of how it works when you have 8 or10 spots on one spot.
    It trys to stop at each one of them.
    Pete
    Last edited by ShilohRed; 03-15-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

At least someone agrees with me.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you guys are making me feel a little better about waiting to buy one. I have a 787 and I have the same problems with the GPS function. Does not work like my Garmin 178c.
    I do like the sonar in my 787. It gives me far more detail than my garmin.

Maybe they can make some changes before I decide to buy one. Then again maybe Lowrance or Garmin will come out with a side imaging unit themselves. Competition is a good thing!

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

Default Garlowminbird Gps/sonar/side Imager

I got an Idea. We need to take all of Shilohred's money and then sell all of Canepole's electronics. We pool the money together for a new fishfinder company named GARLOWMINBIRD. We combine GARmin, LOWrance, and humMINBIRD and get the best of all worlds. Canepole get started on this now! You are going to be richer than you are now! HAHAHHA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crappiehunter View Post
    I enjoy my 997 unit and it has helped me catch more fish. I now need to tell humminbird that they need lessons in GPS from Garmin. I feel that garmin has humminbirds GPS beat hands down. I have never seen such a pain in the arse to manage waypoints like humminbird wants you to do it. You also cannot navigate the cursor by the pad without frustration because everytime you get close to a waypoint it wants to stop for a split second. The boat is too big on the Humminbird GPS and the waypoint icon is too large also. Garmin is so much easier and more user friendly.
    The 20 degree sonar image from Humminbird is terrible in my opinion. It has to be one the worst sonars on the market. Lowrance definitely stands above the competition in this area. I even think that my 240 garmin 20 degree sonar is better than my 997 humminbird.
    It is a good thing that humminbird has the only side image available. It definitely shows you what is on the bottom in great detail. The side image is wonderful. It is a good thing that I bought my 997 for the side image because the sonar and the GPS from humminbird need drastic improvement in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHound View Post
    Well, you guys are making me feel a little better about waiting to buy one. I have a 787 and I have the same problems with the GPS function. Does not work like my Garmin 178c.
    I do like the sonar in my 787. It gives me far more detail than my garmin.

Maybe they can make some changes before I decide to buy one. Then again maybe Lowrance or Garmin will come out with a side imaging unit themselves. Competition is a good thing!

The Hound

I think all they would have to do is an update to change this?
    I don't like it . but would not give the unit up over it. But they sure could make life better by letting us be able to change it to what fits our needs.
    I am or have been looking one a new unit for the front of the new boat. But thinking I may look hard at some other brand for that. And wait and see what Humminbird does to change this.
    I have always owned Humminbirds. but think I will look at a Lowrance color unit with GPS.

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't like about it is that you never really know when you get to a waypoint. My handheld is alot easier at pinpointing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiehunter View Post
    I got an Idea. We need to take all of Shilohred's money and then sell all of Canepole's electronics. We pool the money together for a new fishfinder company named GARLOWMINBIRD. We combine GARmin, LOWrance, and humMINBIRD and get the best of all worlds. Canepole get started on this now! You are going to be richer than you are now! HAHAHHA!!!
    Shoot this deal will never get off the ground. As soon as I pay for the new boat. I will only be able to fish until the $150 dollar gas card last that comes with the motor.:D
    So guessing you better look somewhere else for the $$ All of my $$ is between banks...
    East and west banks of the Tn river..:D
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

You're something, Shiloh!

The Hound

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Hunter,

I respect your complaint. We are opened minded as far as suggestions. We will take anyones suggestion. We will combine the suggestion and foward them to our software guys. One question I do have is why do you think Garmin sonar is better than the Humminbird 997? I need some examples. We are hearing diffrent information from our consumers. I would like to know this information. It may be a setting on the unit we may be able to help you change to get the information you are looking for.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast