This is the response from the mail I sent to "agfc." They seem to be a bit taken aback by this information, at least enough to do some research on it. Maybe they can get the facts corrected.

Bill: I'm having someone pull the original application for this fish record from our archives to see how the original application listed the fish, and who from the Commission certified the species identification. Color can sometimes be an unreliable descriptor of species, and taxidermist can add color not original on the speciman - to be exact we would need to count the spiny dorsal fin rays (white has six, a black has 7-9), but from the photo, it certainly looks to be a white. I'll let you know what I find out.

Michael Armstrong
Asst. Chief/Management
Fisheries Division
[email protected]
501-223-6372

Everyone is entitled to their own set of opinions, but not to their own set of facts.
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:56 AM
To: Armstrong, Michael L.
Subject: FW: [email protected] - Found word(s) check out in the Text body - Emailing: 100_0211, 100_0215, 100_0216, 100_0218

Thanks for your help.

Information Officer
Arkansas Game & Fish Commission
#2 Natural Resources Drive
Little Rock, Arkansas 72205

Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:47 AM
To: information
Subject: FW: [email protected] - Found word(s) check out in the Text body - Emailing: 100_0211, 100_0215, 100_0216, 100_0218

Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 5:04 PM
To: information
Subject: [email protected] - Found word(s) check out in the Text body - Emailing: 100_0211, 100_0215, 100_0216, 100_0218

Ladies and Gentlemen @ agfc;

I lived in AR for 14 years and really enjoyed crappie fishing in your beautiful lakes and rivers, and especially Blue Mountain and Nimrod Lakes. On the way back to Carlisle from Nimrod I stopped at the Ola Cafe for a sandwich, and saw the 4lb 9oz state record caught by Danny Burfield in 1976. Had my camera with me, so I took a couple photos of it and the tag that had the data on it. I ran across the photos yesterday and out of curiosity I went online to see if it was still the record crappie for AR. What I found that surprised me was the fact that it was listed as a black crappie....and as you can see by the photo of the mount, it's obviously a white. I checked other sources, and the info was the same. In the interest of keeping the records accurate, shouldn't the info be changed? Check out the photos....... [email protected]