Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Condos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Condos

I fish a 60 year old clear water lake with over 1000 miles of shoreline. It still has a large number of stump fields in the areas off the main lake. There are trees as big as a basketball with huge limbs under water still on them. The trees are in areas 10 to 70 foot deep. There are coves that you have to use a trolling motor to get thru, the stumps are so thick. My question is with all this cover still in the lake along with the coon tail grass and hydrila. Am I waisting my time putting out a crappie condo like the one shown in Jerry Blake's article on this website? If not why would they come to it instead of one of the thousands of exitsing trees in the lake?

Post Thanks / Like

I would not place them near existing cover, fish wont leave cover to find cover. But if you could find a place that is missing cover in several hundred yard area I would think place them in that area would maybe draw them in. I place cover in a lake that has no natural cover and only has docks for cover which inreturn has some brush under them placed by dock owners and fisherman like myself. If I am going to place brush in a spot and do several sweeps looking for exsting cover before placing it there.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion