Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee Handle Tape

13point Guest

Default Tennessee Handle Tape

What kind of tape is the best for putting a reel on a Cork Tennessee Handle?

Post Thanks / Like

I just use black electrician's tape.

Post Thanks / Like

I second that, use electrical tape. waterproof, cleans up easy, a does the job!!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

13, I haven't thought this out completely yet but I don't see why it wouldn't work and work well...and also be a clean, good-looking way to secure a reel base to a Tennessee handle rod. I'm gonna try it shortly...heat-shrink tubing. This place here: http://www.mcmaster.com is an industrial supply place, great service, no minimum purchase. I've used them many times for a lot of different items I can't quickly find locally here in the boonies. Order it today, most times you have it tomorrow. Look under Lighting & Electrical for heat shrink. There's a bunch of sizes and different materials and they list specifics like before and after sizes, % of shrink, etc. I'm sure there is a size that will work for this. This probably needs filed in the "obsessive" category when actually a roll of black electrical tape will do but just like the knot-breaking threads for 4# line...we strive for perfection. If you try it before I do, let me know how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish manufacturers would make more Tennessee-handled rods. They're light, and you can tape the reel wherever you want.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the heat shrink on my ice rods for years. First thing I do is to get the slip rings off. Then I mount the reel with the tubing. Use a heat gun or even a hair dryer will do the job. Really makes for a comfortable and secure mount.
    Garminarmin gpsmap 1040 xs networked with Garmin gpsmap 1242 xsv , Panoptix PS 30 and PS 31. Livescope LVS 32

Ice rig Echomap Ultra 106SV with LVS 12 and GT10-IF

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used a bunch of tenn. handles---black tape works real good--use a better grade of tape as the cheaper tape bleeds[real stickey] in the hot sun
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead View Post
    I have used a bunch of tenn. handles---black tape works real good--use a better grade of tape as the cheaper tape bleeds[real stickey] in the hot sun
    AMEN.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I use a strip of clear packing tape first. Get the 2" roll and then split it down the middle and use a 1" wide piece. Wrap it 2 or 3 wraps while stretching it. Over this put the Scotch 33+. The 33+ is more expensive but does not get "sticky".
    For those using just the black electrical tape I think you will see a noticable difference in the "security" feeling. When I would just use the black tape the reel will flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MDCrappie View Post
    I use a strip of clear packing tape first. Get the 2" roll and then split it down the middle and use a 1" wide piece. Wrap it 2 or 3 wraps while stretching it. Over this put the Scotch 33+. The 33+ is more expensive but does not get "sticky".
    For those using just the black electrical tape I think you will see a noticable difference in the "security" feeling. When I would just use the black tape the reel will flex.
    Sounds like a winner. I'll try it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast