Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Axle Spindle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Axle Spindle

I had a new axle made. I trying to figure out why the spindle got ruined. It was only one year old. I use EMB, grease which is what we use on electric motors where I work. It will not mix with water, though, I do not think it is very high temperature. Or maybe I did not tighten it properly. How do you properly tighten the nut?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this will help. It also covers trailer bearings,http://www.babcox.com/editorial/cm/cm69816.htm
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Most oil companies make a special marine wheel bearing grease. I have used LUBRIMATIC with good results. Pennzoil and others make a similar grease. Usually Auto Parts and probably WallMart has it. The article in the previous post was excellent. I usually tighten the nut while rotating the wheel until there is no play when you try to wiggle the wheel but so that the wheel turns easily. Then I back off until the cotter key hole lines up. That should not be over 1/4 turn.

Post Thanks / Like

thnx fellows for the info. Everything is back to order.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that they make different types of grease. I just don't know which one to use in different situations. That is something that I need to look into more.

I have a wheel thing on the front of my boat trailer that takes grease. But I think I used the wrong kind of grease on it because after I greased it the thing became harder to use. The handle that I crank to lower or raise the wheel is very hard to turn now. I can see the metal gears when I take the dust cap off and the grease is on the gears so it either must be a bad gear or the wrong kind of grease. The wheel was greased when I bought it last year and worked ok until I added some new grease. I use the same grease for my Trailer Wheel bearings and it works great with the wheel bearings so far for the last 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    I had a new axle made. I trying to figure out why the spindle got ruined. It was only one year old. I use EMB, grease which is what we use on electric motors where I work. It will not mix with water, though, I do not think it is very high temperature. Or maybe I did not tighten it properly. How do you properly tighten the nut?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Fishingpox.......I wouldn't use anything but a marine grease, and it is made by some of the top manufacturers specifically for marine applications. Used in conjunction with bearing buddies, your bearings will last much longer. I changed out my axle last year when I bumped a stump in high grass and bent it, the bearings were the originals, and they were over 20 years old. The axle was actually too light, but I bent it back straight, and will make a trailer for my canoe with it.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Labill. I've been using the Lubramatic marine grease and bearing buddies for years. The bearing in there now have been in there for 5 years that I know of. I had to replace a seal the other day and checked them while I was at it. The bearings still look like new.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Lubramatic was the bearing grease that came with the hub kit. While doing the work on trailor I laid my 4 way lug wrench down and never put it back under my deck, I went fishing yesterday and low and behold I noticed while driving on the wore out gravel road I take to go to the lake, I had a low tire. I had to unhook my truck from the trailor, because to cord for the air compressor was to short. I aired up the tire, I was happy, about a mile down the gravel road that same trailor tire was flat. So, I pulled off to the side of the road, jacked my trailor up,looked in my boat for a 4 way collapseable lug wrench, it was gone.Now I have brand new tires too, lol. My fish are about 90 dollars a pound, sheesh.
    Thnx again fellows for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I agree with Labill. I've been using the Lubramatic marine grease and bearing buddies for years. The bearing in there now have been in there for 5 years that I know of. I had to replace a seal the other day and checked them while I was at it. The bearings still look like new.

Post Thanks / Like

Lubramatic was the bearing grease that came with the hub kit. While doing the work on trailor I laid my 4 way lug wrench down and never put it back under my deck, I went fishing yesterday and low and behold I noticed while driving on the wore out gravel road I take to go to the lake, I had a low tire. I had to unhook my truck from the trailor, because to cord for the air compressor was to short. I aired up the tire, I was happy, about a mile down the gravel road that same trailor tire was flat. So, I pulled off to the side of the road, jacked my trailor up,looked in my boat for a 4 way collapseable lug wrench, it was gone.Now I have brand new tires too, lol. My fish are about 90 dollars a pound, sheesh.
    Thnx again fellows for the input.
    LOL....I've had those kind of days too many times. Sometimes it just don't pay to get out of bed!! :D