Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Any tips for Dogwood?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any tips for Dogwood?

Hey guys, I am going with a friend to fish Dogwood for the first time this weekend. We are going to be after crappie, but he also wants to try to catch some perch. Anybody give us any tips (general is alright, you don't have to give up any honey holes!) on the lake? Thanks in advance. -Indy

Post Thanks / Like

Not too familar with dogwood. I have only fished it once time from the bank in the summertime. Caught a lot of small bass on the Charley Brewer Crappie Slider jig. 1/16oz smoke colored.

They will be in the very shallow water at this time of the year. First week of April 2005.

DNR just finished doing a fish shocking survey on a lake south of dogwood. Blue Grass Pit and they found lots of bass in the shallow water around the lakes shoreline. They shocked all along the entire shoreline of the south section of the lake. They started out around 8:30 PM CDST and ended at midnight. Water temps were getting into the low 60's in the very shallow waters at 38.00.00 latitued. Dogwoods have not really begun to bloom here. But bradford pear, tulip tree and the dafadills have bloomed. The dogwoods have some buds forming and the tulips are getting ready to bloom in the next day or two. It's that time of the year now for the crappie to start spawning in Southern IN.

Check the wind direction and remember that a steady wind will push the warmer surface waters to the windward banks. Those banks could be one or two deg water water than the rest of the lake. So if there is a brush pile there in that area I would try that area first. Creek channels also are good to check as well as any stumps or standing timber or trees along the lakes edge that have fallen into the lake. Find some areas that have shallow water near deeper water. Remember that the north bank normally warms up faster than the southern exposed banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy-Travis
    Hey guys, I am going with a friend to fish Dogwood for the first time this weekend. We are going to be after crappie, but he also wants to try to catch some perch. Anybody give us any tips (general is alright, you don't have to give up any honey holes!) on the lake? Thanks in advance. -Indy
    Regards,

Moose1am