Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rathbun May 5th yeah or neah?

freeatlast Guest

Default Rathbun May 5th yeah or neah?

First time on this board. Plannig a trip to Rathbun for some Crappies with a foursome to fish Rathbun for my first time.

May 5th a good time of year this year you think?

Any tips for a first timer to Rathbun, other than boating saftey ;-) ?

Post Thanks / Like

If you fish out of a small boat stay off if the wind is blowing. BIG BIG rollers will sink you. Its all going to depend on Mother Nature but that should be a good time to nail um.
    Fish now, you'll be dead for a long time

Post Thanks / Like

welcome, Ask again later I have caught big shallow fish as early as 4/27 but lately it seems to be more like early to mid may.
    ITS LIKE BASEBALL PITCHIN,HITTIN,CATCHIN

Post Thanks / Like

Around late May early June try Lake Geode (sp?) or the lake in Coral Ridge/ Iowa City... awesome Crappie fishing out there.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

With as hard of a winter as weve had this year, May 5th may be alitle early for any shallow fish. We get on them right after ice out.There are plenty of areas and ramps to launch at htat will be out of the weather, so dont let that scare you.Early May both the mairna areas as well as Hiney and Ham Creek willl have plenty of staging fish that one wont have to run the big lake if you dont want to.Good luck and enjoy your trip.If you see a Black/Silver 619 with a 225 Pro XS wave and say hey.PJ

freeatlast Guest

Thanx to all who replied..We'll be in a 18 foot sportfisher with a 115 mariner so hopefully we can hadle the lake.

We are staying overnight at a resort called Whispering ?? Something and can launch 4 minutes from there into bridgview area I think is what the resrt owner told me.

Thanx again guys ..we hope to nail some slabs.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always went down on my B-day which is 4/25 and alot of times we find the fish but not always. It depends on water leval and temp.

Post Thanks / Like

As someone has already posted, May 5th may be a tad early on them this year, but you can get into some very nice fish at Rathbun. I would try your better pre-spawn patterns for them at that time this year.

One helpful hint on Rathbun for small boaters - Check your weather report to find out which way the wind will be coming from when fishing there. Avoid having to drive into the wind accross the main lake by putting in below your intending fishing areas. The main lake can become horrible rough very quickly there. Five foot rollers are not fun in any craft.

As for a spot to try at that time, Honey Creek, Buck Creek, and South Fork will give you some protection while giving up some very nice slabs. Big bites, full baskets, and God's blessings to ya!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon View Post
    As someone has already posted, May 5th may be a tad early on them this year, but you can get into some very nice fish at Rathbun. I would try your better pre-spawn patterns for them at that time this year.

One helpful hint on Rathbun for small boaters - Check your weather report to find out which way the wind will be coming from when fishing there. Avoid having to drive into the wind accross the main lake by putting in below your intending fishing areas. The main lake can become horrible rough very quickly there. Five foot rollers are not fun in any craft.

As for a spot to try at that time, Honey Creek, Buck Creek, and South Fork will give you some protection while giving up some very nice slabs. Big bites, full baskets, and God's blessings to ya!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    How's the QCA these days? I can not remember the name of the place but it was about 5 miles north of Blue Grass... take a Left off 61 like your heading to D'port (if you go right it takes you to Hwy22), there's a campground and main lake with ramps and boat rentals on the left side of the road.
    Last I remember the crappie and largemouths were killer out of there. A lot of fishing pressure but never seemed to have too tough a time taking a decent catch home. Still good fishing out of there?
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

freeatlast Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LSUguy View Post
    How's the QCA these days? I can not remember the name of the place but it was about 5 miles north of Blue Grass... take a Left off 61 like your heading to D'port (if you go right it takes you to Hwy22), there's a campground and main lake with ramps and boat rentals on the left side of the road.
    Last I remember the crappie and largemouths were killer out of there. A lot of fishing pressure but never seemed to have too tough a time taking a decent catch home. Still good fishing out of there?
    Thats West Lake Park. Saw quite a few huts out there this winter. I have never fished it myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast