Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New rig?

I'm going to be buying a new setup for this crappie season and I've read a lot of opinions about items and I was wondering if everyone thinks I'm pairing the equipment correctly, or if there's a "better" combination I could choose.

Russ Bailey Signature Crappie Wizard 10'
    Buck's Mini Reel or West Point Crappie Reel
    P Line CXX 6lb Test

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on the "Technique" you will be using. I have been fishing "Ugly Stick" rods and Shakespear open face reels for the last thirty years or so. wfm (Works for me)
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dedfish View Post
    I'm going to be buying a new setup for this crappie season and I've read a lot of opinions about items and I was wondering if everyone thinks I'm pairing the equipment correctly, or if there's a "better" combination I could choose.

Russ Bailey Signature Crappie Wizard 10'
    Buck's Mini Reel or West Point Crappie Reel
    P Line CXX 6lb Test
    that should work just fine, its all about what your comfortable with but the reels and rod should be pretty good. i fish for crappir with everything from 5 foot ultralights to 12 foot jig poles but most the time use a 7 foot ultralight with an okuma xts 20 on it but thats just my preference, might want to go to 4 lb test if your using a mini reel tho, just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just do vertical jigging for crappie.

I could look into some 4lb test.. maybe I will.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a good combo to me,I like those little Bucks mini reels on my jigpoles.I mainly string my mini reels up with 6 lb. Mr. Crappie line and it works out well for me.
    Last edited by ad1974; 03-11-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll like the rod
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand those types of reels. I use underspin trigger spincasts (T-11s )or an ultralight spinning reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shockley32 View Post
    You'll like the rod
    I hope so. I'm looking for something light and sensitive.. yet with enough backbone to haul out a slab (or the occasional catfish) as need be.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of those Buck's Baitcast reels. But I like the underspin/spinning/triggerspin reels better for several reasons. 1. You can grip the handle above the reel therefore getting more more of your forearm on the handle (better support/less fatigue). 2. You can get your finger on the line to feel the taps that don't move the rod (even with high-vis line I still feel bites that I don't see). 3. Better drag.

The reel can still be inexpensive. As a vertical jigging rod, you won't be "reeling" in the fish as much as "swinging/lifting" in the fish, so the reel is just a glorified line holder. I have a Johnson triggerspin on my 11ft rod that cost about $7, but it does the job. I just prefer that style for comfort.

I have also broken less rods bending toward the eyes/guides as oppossed to against them.
    Jeremiah 16:16a "But now I will send for many fishermen," declares the Lord, "and they will catch them."