Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Thunder's to big for springtime Crappies ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Thunder's to big for springtime Crappies ?

Does anyone use the 1/8 oz. R/R with a Crappie Thunder body for spring time Crappie ? I keep being told that a smaller lure like a 1/16 oz. R/R with a slimmer Turbo Tail boby or curly tail will catch more fish than the "fatter" Thunder body and 1/8 oz head. Any truth to the "smaller and lighter ,is better" theroy ? -Thanks

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4 View Post
    Does anyone use the 1/8 oz. R/R with a Crappie Thunder body for spring time Crappie ? I keep being told that a smaller lure like a 1/16 oz. R/R with a slimmer Turbo Tail boby or curly tail will catch more fish than the "fatter" Thunder body and 1/8 oz head. Any truth to the "smaller and lighter ,is better" theroy ? -Thanks
    Try 1/4 to 3/8 oz with 2/0 hook and 2-3 inch curly tail. Fish have a big mouths.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4 View Post
    If a Crappie Thunder with a 1/8 oz, or for that matter a 1/4 oz jig head is 'too big' for springtime crappie....I hope nobody tells the crappie here in Texas...cause they don't know it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Skinner View Post
    If a Crappie Thunder with a 1/8 oz, or for that matter a 1/4 oz jig head is 'too big' for springtime crappie....I hope nobody tells the crappie here in Texas...cause they don't know it.
    I agree! All i ever use is 1/8 oz or heavier.

Post Thanks / Like

1/8 oz during the spawn around here and your bait goes right by the fish on its quick decent to the bottom which is all of no more than 5 feet. We go a little lighter to keep the bait in the ZONE for a little longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sac-a-lait View Post
    1/8 oz during the spawn around here and your bait goes right by the fish on its quick decent to the bottom which is all of no more than 5 feet. We go a little lighter to keep the bait in the ZONE for a little longer.
    I like your reasoning!

Post Thanks / Like

The slow fall is not a bait size issue, it's a weight issue. The crappie here will hit a big profile bait just fine and I agree that they like a slow fall at times. Depends also on whether you are casting or vertical dipping. The heavier weights work fine for vertical fishing because you can control the depth and fall yourself. When casting I like the thunder with a 1/16 or 1/32 oz head. They fall like they are wearing a parachute. That's the way the thunder was designed.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Ernest, I will fish with 2" Yum beaver tail using a 1/32 oz jighead.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The fish I know sleep on the bottom of the lake during spawn.ie fish beds. Fastest way to bottom=big weight. They spawn on the bottom most the time.
    The fishes get aggressive when stuff gets near their nesting.

Everybody has their ways. I just knock 'em in the head with the big lead.

I been around fishing crappie quiet a while myself. I knows where the fishies stays.

Fishing lessons want change this old man's mind nor will anybodies opinion.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Up here in Mn. when the ice just goes out we use 64th oz hair jigs for those spring time crappies.
    This guy was pitching a 32nd into them coming out with nadda. He moves over and we slid in and pounded them .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast