Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Right At Ice Off???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Right At Ice Off???

This is for some of us Northern Guys that have to deal with the ice each year. When it comes to fishing in cold weather (or any weather) I'd rather fish streams and rivers. I can see the structure and breaks and often do well for Crappie and Walleye. However, my lake experience is usually in late March and early April when the water reaches near 50*. I traveled to my local lake here in Indiana today (summit lake). I noticed that the lake had produced a thin sheet of ice and the coves still had some thick ice 2-4".

1. I was wondering how many people get out as soon as the ice is off, and the ramp is clear, to hunt crappie?? It is supposed to get into the 50s multiple times in the next 10 days and I am seriously thinking about launching the boat.

2. The lake I am intending on fishing is full of timber and submerged weed beds. I know where the main channels and creek arms are, and how they flow through the lake. Is this the area I should be targeting(deeper channels)?

3. What are some good presentations?

4. Are these foolish thoughts or cabin fever?

I have heard tales of people catching alot of fish this time of year on other lakes in the northern U.S. and it peaked my curiousity. I don't remember seeing any boats on the this lake at ice off. There are a lot of ice fisherman throughout the winter. It sure makes a guy think. Why wouldn't it be good? The ice fishing is top-notch. The fish don't just leave.
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

I am from northern Mn. and I watch those lakes that are small for when the ice goes off,then I'm counting.1 day-2days-3days then it's time for me to get on the water.
    I like late afternoons giving the sun ample time to warm that water up.
    I'll choose spots where it's deep next to a mud flat or weedy area or submerged trees close by.
    Those 1st few days it takes some looking to hone in on where they are at ,but I do find those slabs.
    I use my own little 64th or 80th oz hair jig in a float n fly method.
    It's great out there with no one to bother me and if they do come they leave quickly because their baits(minnow) are too big.
    My advice is to use your ice tackle and small plastics,hair/maribou jigs or waxies on small hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

There is an excellent article in the current Crappie World magazine on just this topic. It just hit the newstands a few days ago, so should still be readily available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapermouthLegend View Post

4. Are these foolish thoughts or cabin fever?
    Not cabin fever... but if you're in the land of ice and snow, you've probably got as bad a case of it as I do. I don't think it's possible for my tackle to get any more organized, or my hooks to be any sharper, or my freshly re-spooled, lubricated reels to get any more re-spooled or lubricated.... You're not the only one who is slowly being driven crazy by old man winter.

I hit the water as soon as I can put my boat in - right after ice out, or within a week of it.

I have luck in deeper water adjacent to shallows where they'll be spawning. Like with ice fishing, smaller baits seem to work better, and keep your presentations as slow as you can - the fish are still a bit sluggish at ice-out.

One nice thing about ice-out fishing, is generally they hold in schools and once you find them, you can have a great time.

Think Spring!!!!!
    Last edited by joejv4; 03-10-2008 at 09:31 AM.