Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sonar Tip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sonar Tip

The best way to tell what a fish looks like on your depthfinder is to place a real fish in the cone of the transducer,” he says. “Take a decent-sized crappie, put it on a drop-shot rig with a heavy sinker 18 inches below the fish and lower it straight down in the cone angle of the transducer. I drop it down 15 feet because most of the crappie I locate and catch on Southeastern waters will be in the 8- to 15-foot range. Now you can see exactly what to look for when searching for fish and know that it is a crappie.”

Try bumping the trolling motor on and off to move the boat so the crappie moves in and out of the cone. This allows you to see how the representation of the fish mark will change.

Post Thanks / Like

Default sonar

Good advice.... never thought of that.....
    Thanks..........

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler64 View Post
    The best way to tell what a fish looks like on your depthfinder is to place a real fish in the cone of the transducer,” he says. “Take a decent-sized crappie, put it on a drop-shot rig with a heavy sinker 18 inches below the fish and lower it straight down in the cone angle of the transducer. I drop it down 15 feet because most of the crappie I locate and catch on Southeastern waters will be in the 8- to 15-foot range. Now you can see exactly what to look for when searching for fish and know that it is a crappie.”

Try bumping the trolling motor on and off to move the boat so the crappie moves in and out of the cone. This allows you to see how the representation of the fish mark will change.
    Sounds good. Remember, as long as youre sitting still and the fish just sits inside the cone of the radar the graph draws a constant line across the screen. Pull the fish up for a few seconds and drop it back down for a few seconds and you'll see the line move up and back down. (A tip when anchored down fishing at night when the fish start coming under your boat. ) p.s.: To just see the line on the graph a good sized weight will do the same thing.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Both of them is good advice!
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

Post Thanks / Like

wow thats soooo cool. do you think if i put an 8 1/2 in crappie on the line i can see what it looks . then i wont have to waste my time fishing for the small ones?