Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: explain dubbing to me

Post Thanks / Like

Default explain dubbing to me

i am a newbe at tying and pretty well have the basics down, except for how to use dubbing. can someone explaine it to me?
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use it much any more (there are easier methods) for jigs, but I think I can explain. Essentially, it's just about any type of material (fur shavings, very small feathers, wool, synthetic stuff) that you "glue" along the length of the tying thread and then wind the thread onto a fly or jig. Usually, you're making a body. To get it to stick to the thread, you can put a dubbing wax or other sticky substance on the thread, then apply the dubbing material.

Most folks here just use chenile or an artificial material that can be wound onto the hook to form a jig body without using thread (other than to anchor each end of the body material)--much easier than making dubbing and it's bulkier, which means using less material. Jigs are not exactly finesse lures when you compare them to a dry fly tied on a number 22 hook, so it's usually not necessary to get overly precise with the body material.

Post Thanks / Like

"fished-out" gave you a good summary. It's mainly a fly (not jig) technique. You just can't use thick materials like chenille to build a body on tiny flies. If you're just interested in tying jigs, you don't need to worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like

One method of using dubbing is to pull your thread down from the hook for about 3 to 4 inches. Coat you thread with a dubbing wax. Take a small pinch of dubbing from the pack. When you think you have the right amount of dubbing, cut that amount in half. Beginners always use to much dubbing. Now, spead out the dubbing along the lenght of the thread that you had pulled down from the hook. Take your finger and thumb and twist the dubbing around the tread untill you get a very thin line of dubbing. Push the line of dubbing to the hook. Start from the back of the hook and wrap the dubbing/thread around the hook shaft to the head forming a body . When you get close, about one eye lenght back from the head (eye), tie the dubbing off with a whip or a half hitch.
    Last edited by tkcenterline; 03-09-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a video from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6HR-uBbybM

You can find just about anything on youtube.

Post Thanks / Like

The best way I can explain it is like spinning raw wool into thread or string. It takes a good rotary vise and the only jig tyer that I have seen do it is Skip.

IMO Totally a non-essiential skill for 99.9% of the jig tying people here.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FroggerZ View Post

IMO Totally a non-essiential skill for 99.9% of the jig tying people here.

I only tie jigs so I don't use it. Most people who fish for trout will tie their own flies and use dubbing to build a "body" on a very tiny hook. For a nice crappie jig stick with chenille. IMHO
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

you can get some better bodies out of dubbing than you can with chenille. Most dont use it to tie jigs as its a technique you have to learn to use.
    (Note* most tying thread you use is already waxed. You dont need to use a dubbin wax or "glue" you just pinch spin it on in very very small pichnes of dubbing material)
    Dubbing loops for longer body/feather fur is a tricky technique as well as learning to apply standard dubbings. But like most techniques once you get the hang of it, its a snap.
    Flashabou makes a dubbing that you use in dubbing loops that is amazing to use for bodies on a jig/fly. It has a ton of flash factors to it.
    Also fox, bear, hare ear mask, etc etc will make some bodies.
    Couple fo my favorite bodies is to turn either marabou into a chenille or into dubbing and of course peackock into a chenille.

my main rule of thumb....you only limited by your imagination. Learn more techniques and you will come up with some amazing and very productive patterns.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some of the jigs i tie with dubbing on them.... Make the body bigger and flairs out the hair or feather better.. These are 1/100oz jigs

And here is what dubbing loks like when applying it to a jig...
    Take a kid fishing.... They will never forget it..Makiplastic.com

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use dubbing only for flies. I like to use dubbing on panfish flies because it gives them more of a buggy look to it. Basically all you have to do is take a small amount of dubbing. When I say small I mean small. When you think you have enough cut that in half. Then use your fingers to twist the dubbing onto the thread to make a dubbing rope. After you have a nice dubbing rope wrap it around the hook shank. It gives nice a appearance to nymphs and other flies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast