Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Nest, Open Reel

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bird Nest, Open Reel

I never owned Open reel until today.

Got $49 10 jewel and new 6lb line.

Put the new line on, and here in the living room, wasted
    at least 5 foot or better as it want to come off the reel, and all twisted up.

The line is within 1/8 inch being full, but wants to unravel just looking at it. Does it need to sit for couple days, or what.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

First, you need a good quality limp line. Trilene XL is a good start. Steer clear of fluorocarbon or any of the new lines for now.

Second, don't fill the spool more than 1/8 inch from the spool lip.

Third, make sure the line is going on the reel the same direction it's on the spool. You don't unroll the line, you take it off the side of the spool, just like it comes off the reel when you cast.

fishing buddy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Should have a backlash control tighten it up till you get use to it.

www.slabcrappieguides.com
    Hi Tek Pro Staff
    Bobby Garland Baits

Post Thanks / Like

There have been several recent threads on preventing line twist on spinning reels. You should find them with a quick search of the archives.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried it all and unless you pay attention to the spool speed vs. line speed on the cast, wow! Watch her fuzz up! Everything these guys told you is right. But if you sling the whole mess "off" of que without your thumb there to stop it, you will be dealing with backlash. Practice makes perfect my friend!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, with an open-faced spinning reel you will need to let the new line adjust to the new spool size. Usually overnight is enough especially if you spray it and the line on the spool real good with Reel Magic. Then it will stop spitting off the spool.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Would you explain what it is you purchased with a little more detail? How are you planning to fish with it? Chances are I would suggest you return it and get something better, but I need to know what you have first. I can't find anything named jewel except a cheap BnM product.
    Good things come to those who bait.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Line problems ...

like line jumping off reel spool when bail is opened, balls of twisted line coming off during cast (or opening of bail) .... are usually the result of one or more things :
    it could be that the 6lb line is stiff
    the reel spool is very small (UL sized reel)
    the line was spooled onto the reel "backwards"
    the reel is better suited to 4lb test size line

If you filled the reel spool to within 1/8" of the lip, that may not be enough gap ... try removing line to within 1/4" of the lip, and see if that helps. Filling the reel with a softer/limper line may work better. Or, pull the first 1/3 of the line off the reel, drag it thru the yard (grass) and reel it back on ... that should take care of the twists, without having to totally remove the line and respool.

From what you described ... my bet is that the line was spooled onto the reel without checking to see if the line was going on "backwards" (twisted). If that's not the case, then the 6lb line is too big for the reel spool (or too stiff to lay correctly around the reel spool). Just a case of first-timer mistakes ... that's happened to most of us, at one time or another.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

CP sounds like you done this a time or two!
    Take your kids hunting and fishing, and you won't be hunting your kids

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Crappiepappy. I've had all of that happen to me at one time or another. The yard and rewind thing works well. Also make sure to keep enuf tension on the line going on to the spool that it lays the right way, not loose and fluffy looking. I always pinch the line between index and thumb above the first guide and make sure that it's not piling up on the top or bottom of the spool. First time out in the boat you can put the bare end of the line over the side and pay it out until it has enuf friction to pull itself off. This also gives the right tension for the retrieve. Better lines take awhile to adjust to the smaller spool , as Darryl has said, but it's frustrating when you take your hand off of it and 20 feet of line jump to the floor. Good luck- tight lines.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast