Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What kind of hair dye?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What kind of hair dye?

What kind of hair dye would you use to color animal hair that has been bleached white. Like a kip tail or rabbit fur.

Post Thanks / Like

i have used RIT dye . its for clothing or material but it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bigfish, I had heard that Rit might work but I have never tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the dye from making easter eggs. You have to neutralize the bleach that you used to bleach the squirrel tail or the dye will be neutralized by the bleach. I have some bleach eradicator you probably can't get any of that. I would think rinsing them well and dipping them in white vinnegar would do the trick. When carpet is dyed at the mill it is done with acid, heat and dye. So since vinnegar is a mild acid I would think it would neutralize the high ph in bleach that actually bleaches out the color. I hope this helps good luck.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most people will use Rit dye. Some have success with Kool-aid. Either way, the steps are the same. Here they are.

HOW TO DYE CALFTAILS.
    You can also dye with koolaid. http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koo...sic-howto.html
    Stovetop Method:

1. Soak fiber in hot water for at least 20 to 30 minutes.

2. While it is soaking, make your Kool-Aid bath. For each package of Kool-Aid use 3 parts water to one part vinegar.

3. Heat the dye solution to just below boiling.

4. Remove your fiber from the hot water soak. Squeeze out excess water.

5. Add your fiber to the dye bath. Be sure that the fiber is completely submerged in the dye solution. If necessary, add more water so your fiber is completely covered and ensure even dyeing . Adding some additional water will not affect the final result.

6. Simmer for about 45 minutes or until all the color is gone. During this time, carefully turn the fiber periodically in the dye bath so it absorbs the color more evenly. When the color in the dye bath completely disappears - the bath becomes a clear colorless liquid or a white, milky liquid - depending on the flavor of Kool-Aid you used - turn off the burner.

7. Let the solution cool until it reaches a temperature with which you can comfortably handle the fiber.

8. Rinse the fiber thoroughly in water the same temperature as the dye bath. At this point you may want to wash the fiber with liquid dishwashing detergent and rinse thoroughly using the procedure that you normally use for washing yarn.

9. Hang the fiber and let it air dry.

Key Points to Remember
    1. Always remove all traces of detergent from material by rinsing thoroughly.
    2. Keep feathers on the move when the dye bath is at boiling point or just under.
    3. Do not add more dye to a bath when there is material in it. Use the colander to lift the material out first.
    4. Its better to start with a weaker dye bath and add dye to it if needed.
    5. Make sure that material is rinsed properly after it is dyed.
    6. Do not dry with fierce heat as it will "kill" the material.
    7. You cannot dye a dark material light. Start with white material for subtle and bright colors.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot fellas for the help, I am going to give this a try.

Post Thanks / Like

The Pros mostly use Veniards fly tiers dye and is said to be the best!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!